NASA To Test eCat?

September 1, 2011

Updated

With thanks to Ransompw in the comments section, we learn of a rumour about NASA testing Rossi’s eCat starting tomorrow. As with all rumours, we have to be careful. It could be completely untrue. That said, the sources have given good information in the past (Roy Virgilio, an associate of Piantelli and Daniele Passerini from the 22passi blog, a friend of Professor Levi).

File the following under wild speculation:

Since Rossi recently offered us (rather out of the blue) the information that tests would last 2 months, I wonder if this fits with what we think we know so far. Testing September/October. Customer delivery (now fully ratified) end of October.

Rossi and Ampenergo officers held a meeting with NASA scientists where they were surprised by the level of information the organisation had on what they were doing. We also know that Dennis Bushnell from Langley announced that he thought LENR (with specific reference to Rossi) may prove to be the answer to many of our energy and climate problems – and fast. Further, he said that they thought they knew how Rossi’s process might work (Widom Larsen Theory). Almost in the same breath, he announced that they (NASA Langley) were set to conduct experiments to test that theory.

Indeed, NASA has shown a renewed interest in the ‘cold fusion’ arena for a number of years. While Mr Bushnell qualified his statement, we have to remember that he leads the science team at Langley and therefore, even a qualified endorsement of LENR would be subject to real politik. It is likely that his words revealed the mere glimpse of an ankle.

Is this the mysterious entity, Rossi talked of? I was puzzled when he said that he was meeting with Ampenergo officers to talk about the strategic rollout of eCat and then in the same blink that they would then meet with NASA. It was as though he was saying that NASA was involved in the business discussion. I assumed at the time that this was merely a false leap (on my part) derived from a poorly-framed Rossi-ism. He talks of top-scientists, an organisation with cultural roots that lends itself to the public good – one capable of ordering 1,000 plants quickly. My guess would be ‘no’ – not directly. There is no doubt that the organisation is capable of all of the above but I doubt they would play the lead role in a pure business play.

It would absolutely be in their interest to kick-start the effort after proving it to themselves – and they have powerful links with businesses that would readily run with it, if true. The implications of a successful LENR process for the space business are (excuse me) astronomical.

It is such a small rumour and piling so many ‘what ifs’ on top of the uncertainty is dangerous. That said, I do wonder if any potential link with NASA could be more important than we first guessed.

Rossi Flirts With NASA (blog confirmation that he went)

ecatreport’s Rossi interview…

14th July 2011, Defkalion and Ampenergo management to meet with NASA to discuss research and business development around the eCat. Subsequently DGT and Ampenergo will collaborate on programme for introducing the eCat as a main energy source to the world

Widom Larsen Theory

Let’s remind ourselves what Dennis Bushnell said…

….Then, as you mentioned, in January of this year Rossi, backed by Focardi, who had been working on this for many years, and in fact doing some of the best work worldwide, came out and did a demonstration first in January, they re-did it in February, re-did it in March, where for days they had one of these cells, a small cell, producing in the 10 to 15 kW range which is far more than enough to boil water for tea. And they say this is weak interaction, it’s not fusion…

…So I think we’re almost over the “We don’t understanding it” problem. I think we’re almost over the “This doesn’t produce anything useful” problem. And so I think this will go forward fairly rapidly now. And if it does, this is capable of, by itself, completely changing geo-economics, geopolitics of solving quite a bit of [the] energy [problem.]

EV World Dennis Bushnell interview

Vortex discussion

Daniele Passerini’s Blog

Andrea Rossi has answered a cheeky wee question regarding this rumour on his blog.

Enzo
September 2nd, 2011 at 12:51 AM
Dear Dr. Rossi,
good luck for tomorrow ;-)

September 2nd, 2011 at 3:10 AM
Dear Enzo:
I always am delighted of good luck wishes, but…what happens tomorrow of special?

Not a good sign but as reliable to conclude anything from that as the rumour in the first place. We can still dream.

Posted by on September 1, 2011. Filed under Media & Blogs,Tests & Demos. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

57 Responses to NASA To Test eCat?

1. Ivan Mohorovicic Reply

September 1, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Have you ever read this paragraph on Krivit’s #3 report?

• admin Reply

September 1, 2011 at 10:05 pm

I have, Ivan, but thanks for the reminder. It is an important link I should not have forgotten. It is now added.

2. Sojourner Soo Reply

September 1, 2011 at 10:35 pm

Really, given the resources NASA has at its disposal for testing LENR, they should have tested the E-Cat device, rather than demanding payment. Given that NASA climate scientist, James Hansen, was arrested on Monday during the Keystone XL pipeline protests taking place in Washington DC, you would think that NASA would be happy to test Rossi’s device as a public service. And please, don’t make excuses for this boorish behaviour. NASA, as much as anybody else, probably would like this technology to be genuine.
    For the story on Hansen’s arrest: http://solveclimatenews.com/news/20110830/james-hansen-nasa-arrested-keystone-xl-pipeline-protests-oil-sands-climate-change-obama

I am ashamed to be Canadian because of Alberta’s tarsands, which are going to destroy the entire planet if this pipeline and others they are planning get built. What a disgrace. NASA, please test the E-Cat and the Hyperion. Get your act together, for the love of planet Earth. Or else shut up.

• Joe_11 Reply

September 2, 2011 at 6:19 pm

“destroy the entire planet”?? What a flatulent, moronic comment. Canada will certainly build a pipeline. It would be better for everyone.if they built the Keystone line, so that the US can buy the output, and boost the world’s economic engine.

Otherwise, a pipeline will be built to Vancouver, and that oil will be shipped to China, where the pollution will be much worse, and the mercantilist Chinese communists will benefit.

Which would you really prefer?

• LCD Reply

September 2, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Come on Joe that’s the simplistic view. First of all Sojourner said others meaning not just that one. Secondly, it’s obvious given your two choices I’d choose Canada. In the much broader picture it’s another step into the grave of carbon emissions, land destruction, toxic waste, etc. Furthermore tar sand oil refinement is not cheap meaning that price per barrel must stay relatively high for it to be profitable meaning that it’s a market pressure on the price of oil to stay high.
        Moronic is a bit of a reach there Joe.

• Sojourner Soo Reply

September 2, 2011 at 10:47 pm

Joe: The tarsands are a “carbon bomb,” as NASA scientist James Hansen correctly described them, which if production continues, will push greenhouse gases well over the limit of the planet’s endurance. I appreciate that Albertans don’t want to recognize that climate change is a real and present danger, but, if they are honest, they would have to admit they are biased in favour of jobs and don’t particularly care about climate change. Well, to be honest, I don’t care about their jobs, or Alberta’s economy. My personal preference is that the tarsands be shut down completely and that Canada invest in green energy, instead.

• AMTR Reply

September 7, 2011 at 6:19 am

Carbon bomb? NASA just confirmed earth radiates far more heat that thought. Climate models never normalized, weather looking more and more as it did during the 1930′s, polar bears not going extinct, Himmalayahs not melting anytime soon and the oceans not rising 100′. The only bomb is Hansen’s embarrassing ranting.

• LCD Reply

September 2, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Sojourner I think it’s politics. Certainly they could test it but what would be the backlash from the american public if they found it to be lacking? Headlines “Govt wastes taxpayer dollars in risky technology validation” blah blah blah. Anyway that’s my guess. Others may have different opinions.

3. maryyugo Reply

September 1, 2011 at 11:28 pm

I’ll believe the rumor when NASA confirms it. Officially with a news release and/or an interview from a qualified official.

• Ransompw Reply

September 2, 2011 at 12:01 am

Interesting reaction. Honestly, until confirmed it is of course just a rumor, but I’m not sure it should take such a formal announcement before accepting confirmation from a well placed source, but suit yourself.

• John Dlouhy Reply

September 2, 2011 at 2:57 pm

I’m with maryyugo on this one. It’s a little premature to be unboxing party favors and popping champagne corks. I question if a rumor this week is worthy of an news article. However, Rossi’s lack of confirmation tells us nothing. I asked him specifically about up coming news conferences, 2 days before the big Greek news conference and he didn’t confirm that. Of course he is under no obligation to tell us anything and not revealing something is his right, if not his legal obligation.

• LCD Reply

September 2, 2011 at 7:19 pm

I’m not with Maryyugo on anything but its just stating the obvious.

Although i’m not sure why she’s not going on about how an official confirmation or interview could be faked by computers these days blah blah blah…

• Anapopei Reply

September 2, 2011 at 3:31 pm

I am unsure what it is worth if NASA confirmed that they are testing or about to test the e-cat. Assuming it’s hoax, we already know that Rossi is able to convince skilled persons and qualified organizations that the e-cat is doing what it is claimed to do to. We would only have to add NASA to the already long list which includes Focardi, Levi, Essén, Kullander, Lewan, LTI and U o B, who all treat the e-cat with serious interest. The outcome of a test is of course of significance. However, we are by margin beyond the point when the mere fact that NASA is testing, says anything.

• Ransompw Reply

September 2, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Oh come on, being in the space activist community I know a lot of people at NASA and if they test it given all the hub bub about proper enthalpy measurements, you can be absolutely certain they will do a good job of evaluating the Ecat from an O/I standpoint. The various posts contending that NASA will be the newest victim of Rossi’s magical power of slight of hands is ridiculous.

• LCD Reply

September 2, 2011 at 6:57 pm

I agree with Ransom as a former employee of NASA and current employee in aerospace and defense research I can safely vouch for the class of people there. For the people that follow my posts that may mean something but I’m not expecting that to mean much to anybody else.

However Ransom let’s think about this realistically, NASA says “yes it’s real” releases results. That will convince a lot of people yes but do you think the majority? I don’t know. Normally it would spur other independent tests and irrefutable proof through multiple reproduction but in this case we know that probably won’t happen until they “buy” one from Rossi. So what do you think would really happen?

I think some time will go by as people analyze the results and in the absence of continued validation tests somebody will find a loophole causing controversy. No, what do you think? I say this because the claim is huge. (alien contact,etc)

Now if a theory comes along with it then that might spur some independent testing without need for the catalyst.

I don’t know I’m speculating of course.

September 3, 2011 at 12:04 am

Actually, my point was more focused on the general public. Assuming this all turns out to be real and that is still really up in the air, if NASA would announce the reality of Rossi’s Ecat it will be assumed to true until proven otherwise.

• Anapopei Reply

September 2, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Unfortunataly, you both missed my point completely. Of course NASA can do a proper test of the e-cat. But the fact that NASA, allegedly, is willing to test the e-cat, doesn’t not by itself add any credibility.

September 2, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Yeah but then you said this
            “Assuming it’s hoax, we already know that Rossi is able to convince skilled persons and qualified organizations that the e-cat is doing what it is claimed to do to. We would only have to add NASA to the already long list which includes Focardi, Levi, Essén, Kullander, Lewan, LTI and U o B, who all treat the e-cat with serious interest. ”

And fooled us into thinking you were asking what we thought.

But I’ll answer your question above. It just means they haven’t seen enough proof one way or the other to say if it’s real or not. Like MOST of us have been saying.

It at least gives “credibility” to the thought that it “might still be real” if that makes any sense.

• Anapopei

September 2, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Fair enough. It’s not always easy to follow my line of thinking. In fact, I have to struggle with myself in that respect. :)

• Anapopei Reply

September 2, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Adding:

A member of the Swedish forum energikatalysatorn.se claims that he had an email exchange with NASA’s Dennis Bushnell getting the following answer:

“NASA is considering agreements to conduct such tests, the agreements are not yet approved/ finalized.”

Source: http://www.energikatalysatorn.se/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9675#p9675

• Ivan Mohorovicic Reply

September 2, 2011 at 5:17 pm

People from that site have put hoaxes/”traps” on the Net regarding Rossi a couple of times over the past months. I wouldn’t trust them.

• John Dlouhy Reply

September 2, 2011 at 6:07 pm

“Traps” a good word Ivan. Anyone who repeats those posts ends up spreading dis-information about the very subject they were trying to clarify.

September 2, 2011 at 6:45 pm

okay i won’t even bother to check, thanks for the heads up

4. Ben Reply

September 1, 2011 at 11:29 pm

This story is developing so fast, it is enough to make one’s head spin. If this NASA connection is true, like some have been postulating, it indeed would be very significant. Yet, even then, there are some curious elements to the story. Like for example, the assertion that Rossi is going to pay for the tests himself. Really? Anyway, I will hold further comment until I can wade through some of the rumors and other information. If some more lurkers would like to add their 2 cents, now might be a good time. I expect the propaganda patrol to be arriving en force very soon.

• maryyugo Reply

September 1, 2011 at 11:56 pm

“I expect the propaganda patrol to be arriving en force very soon.”

Can you say a bit more about that? I may want to be added to your mailing list.

• Ben Reply

September 2, 2011 at 12:37 am

I offered to put you on my mailing list weeks ago. When you didn’t respond, I thought maybe you didn’t love me any more.

5. Thicket Reply

September 2, 2011 at 4:07 am

I recall an appendix in Krivit’s report where a NASA scientist concluded that the visual steam flow from a Rossi presentation could be generated from just the E-cat’s electrical heater input.

This appendix was given to Krivit by NASA. That’s certainly an unusual action from an entity that supports the E-cat enough to test it.

Time will tell, but this rumour sounds like hot air.

• Haldor Reply

September 2, 2011 at 9:23 am

I don’t recall, can you provide me (us) with a link where this comment from a NASA scientist can be found!?

• LCD Reply

September 2, 2011 at 6:43 pm

“supports the E-cat enough to test it”

What does that even mean? Supports it enough to dispel it as a hoax and let people like us move on, supports it enough to want to get rid of false hope, supports it enough to get it into mainstream society as quickly as possible if it’s real?

6. Brad Arnold Reply

September 2, 2011 at 6:31 am

What I think is forgotten is the nexus between NASA and LENR Ni-H. Given that using LENR Ni-H a gram of nickel yields about 2000 kilowatt hours (i.e. 1.7 billion calories), this makes it over 10,000 times more energy dense as oil or coal. Nickel is about 3% of the mass of the Earth. Seeing as how it takes 7 million calories to boost a pound of mass up and out of the Earth’s gravity well, Rossi’s “Italian sauce” means we will be predictably boosting A LOT of weight into space in the coming decades.

While I am skeptical that special rocket engines will be using LENR Ni-H, it can be used to produce cheap liquid oxygen and hydrogen, plus lower the cost of manufacturing the rocket components. Besides, with dramatically lower energy costs, the economy will boom, providing more room in the US budget for funding NASA. Also, since both H2O and Ni are plentiful extra terrestrially, any space exploration and settlement is made easier since we can mine fuel when we get there rather than having to bring it with us.

7. georgehants Reply

September 2, 2011 at 9:51 am

Just for those who where interested in the Truth, please do not respond to this comment

• LCD Reply

September 2, 2011 at 6:39 pm

George I’m not interested, but I answered your Pons Fleishman question I think two blogs ago. FYI

8. admin Reply

September 2, 2011 at 11:25 am

Post updated with a comment from AR.

• LCD Reply

September 2, 2011 at 5:51 pm

nice

9. Sojourner Soo Reply

September 2, 2011 at 3:42 pm

I entered a question on Rossi’s blog, asking him to confirm or deny the rumour. It was awaiting moderation initially, then was deleted. I guess it’s a question he’s unprepared to answer. He’s one playful man, isn’t he? I guess he likes to keep everyone guessing. Given the importance of this matter, it’s not a time to play games, in my opinion.

10. Jay Reply

September 2, 2011 at 4:47 pm

NASA schmasa. This agency has no credibility.

• Ben Reply

September 2, 2011 at 5:00 pm

NASA has no credibility with who? You or the people that matter?

11. maryyugo Reply

September 2, 2011 at 5:28 pm

I’d say a NASA test would have pretty good credibility — if it was really a test conducted entirely by NASA and not another Rossi-directed and performed demo *to* NASA.

One would expect NASA to perform calorimetry by several methods including an all liquid flow experiment. If they did that and met the other criteria for a good experiment that I and others have explained many times, and if they reported a positive report, I’d find them credible.

I seriously doubt that anything like that will happen.

12. Ben Reply

September 2, 2011 at 6:43 pm

If NASA really believes that LENR is a viable technology and, as Bushnell said some months ago, the most promising new energy technology, they should test all claims and see who’s who and what’s what. That should include the devices of Rossi, Piantelli, DGT and Brillouin Energy. They should then issue a report pertaining to viability and make it public.

They have broken the ice by giving LENR some credence, they would serve the public well to take it a step further and help separate the credible claims and the rubbish. Michael Nelson of NASA was quoted as saying:

“LENR is another avenue. It’s not just about Rossi,” If the Rossi thing doesn’t happen, then maybe something else will. Rossi has brought a lot of attention to the field. Any researchers who have a legitimate claim are going to benefit from this.”

Okay, let’s get on with it then Mike.

• maryyugo Reply

September 2, 2011 at 8:19 pm

“If NASA really believes that LENR is a viable technology and, as Bushnell said some months ago, the most promising new energy technology, they should test all claims…”

Not *all* claims. Some claims are silly. They should test claims about devices and concepts for which the inventor has provided some decent evidence suggesting it really works. After all, it’s not NASA’s job to spend tax payer money on every weird idea that comes along. If it were, their reports would look like http://peswiki.com/index.php/Main_Page ! Perish the thought.

• Ben Reply

September 2, 2011 at 9:34 pm

I qualified the *all* statement with the sentence that follows by naming who I meant by *all*. Further, I used the term “include” to be more specific but still acknowledge that their may be other candidates who I excluded. It is really just basic writing.

But, alas, you know all this, as do 95% of the readers of this blog. It just another attempt on your part to hijack the thread by splitting hairs and being contentious over things that are not pertinent to the discussion. Trolling 101.

It was also a nice touch to appeal to the American tax payer and suggest that their money might be wasted on an endeavor that was not suggested in the first place. That part is especially humorous because you are not even an American.

Bravo Yugo. Well done.

Darn, I am so starved for the next twist in this saga that I am feeding the troll. Doh!

• maryyugo Reply

September 3, 2011 at 12:13 am

“That part is especially humorous because you are not even an American.”

Really? That would shock my parents and many others. How did you conclude it? With your vast psychic powers?

When you wrote about which tests NASA should do, you wrote “including” not “limited to”. So you’re the one being unclear and trolling. As well as yumping to concussions… as usual.

• Ben

September 3, 2011 at 1:10 am

My psychic powers told the first thing you would respond to would be the least relevant part of the post, as you are prone to do. Once again, I was correct.

YOU ARE the huge propaganda force. How many posts on this blog have you made in the last 24 hours? Do you even know? No of course you don’t.

Now enough. New post from Admin is up.

• maryyugo Reply

September 3, 2011 at 12:15 am

By the way, where is that huge propaganda force you predicted? More bad psychic prediction?

13. LCD Reply

September 2, 2011 at 7:31 pm

By the way what ever happened to Briah Ahern’s alleged 8 Watt replication?

Anybody?

• Ben Reply

September 2, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Good question LCD. Maybe Ahern’s work is part of the reason that NASA is even willing to listen to Rossi. Perhaps Ahern should be invited to NASA’s validation party….if there is one.

• LCD Reply

September 2, 2011 at 7:44 pm

Exactly
        They should have a BYOCFD (Bring your own cold fusion device) day and just get em all done.
        lol

14. Burt Reply

September 3, 2011 at 1:07 pm

NASA, Google, Apple, and all kinds of strange suggestions…. The US partner must be an organization with infrastructure to roll out and build the plants. Nobody suggests that NASA or Google will start an automobile industri right? They would have to buy one (GM for example). GM could roll out a new car modell, Google can’t. Get real folks…..

15. PML Reply

September 3, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Be cautious about using NASA’s name, especially when it has something to do with Nelson. I had Nelson clarify that NASA has absolutely NOTHING to do with testing & analysis of such claims. This is something Nelson does on his own free time using his own equipment.

During my email exchange with Nelson, someone from NASA told Nelson and I to not use the NASA email address regarding the topic.

• Ben Reply

September 6, 2011 at 6:44 am

That contradicts information contained in the Epistle of Krivit. In the bulleted portion under Rossi Goes to NASA, it is written:

“NASA is offering an opportunity to test Rossi’s device so long as there is no cost to the government.”

16. Ransompw Reply

September 5, 2011 at 11:18 pm

It seems Rossi may have denied the NASA rumor on his JofNP.

17. Ransompw Reply

September 6, 2011 at 1:15 pm

But a new rumor has surfaced on vortex saying a three day test starts today at NASA. will the rumors ever end?

18. Gibed Reply

September 6, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Ransompw,
    you are right about Rossi’s denial of the NASA rumor. Here is a question posed by a reader, and Rossi’s answer, from JONP.

Mahler
    September 5th, 2011 at 4:51 AM
    [translated from italian]
    Kind Eng. Rossi,

Two more questions:
    - have you detected beta rays (electrons)?
    - there are rumors of tests you are carrying out at NASA, these very days; do you feel like commenting on them?

#
    September 5th, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Dear Mahler:

No bata rads.
    Rumors are wrong.

19. Ransompw Reply

September 6, 2011 at 9:47 pm

True, but then today the rumor changed to a three day test starting today. The poster further speculated that Rossi was being literal in his denial, so the rumors of current testing were wrong on September 5, but would be true now.

I really don’t have a clue and it is obviously frustrating. I suggest we just chill and see what happens.