Professor Focardi

August 29, 2011

The ability to express ourselves is a critical skill in this connected world. Unfortunately, most of us can guess the outcome of any debate between a lying politician and an honest technician more used to doing than talking. This sometimes puts native English speakers at an advantage on the world stage. The pantomime image of an arrogant tourist talking down to people (speaking slowly in a loud voice as though to an idiot) is one we all recognise. The truth is, that it is often the native English speaker lacking in education and it is incredible to witness someone without a second language sneer at a superior intellect just because the words don’t flow in silver-tongued English.
In Professor Focardi’s case, he also has to contend with those who see age as an impediment to intelligence. Like the linguistically challenged speaker, someone of age can easily find themselves a target of their inferiors.
It is a strange world we live in. Once, in a time long-ago, we used to value wisdom. Now, a significant minority of gobby youths and adults who should know better, are as likely to snigger at ‘some old fool’ as salute his past achievements. Unless there is direct evidence of a mental illness dulling wit, a man with Professor Focardi’s experience is worth listening to. If, when watching the videos referenced in the previous post, you find yourself looking at a poor fellow having his strings pulled by a master puppeteer, I recommend you to look again and this time look at yourself.

Thanks to commentator jcragris for reminding me of the following (cleaned-up) narrative from Professor Focardi:

“After that, at a certain point … I was running the risk of dying of a tumor. I was lucky, I found a good doctor who saved my life, and so I retired, I stopped working (as a professor, obviously), but kept on … then I did quit for a while … until Rossi looked me up.
Rossi had gotten this notion to use fusion … this process is called cold fusion. The “hot fusionists”, the ones who are supposed to get fusion at high temperatures (and haven’t gotten there yet), are the ones who labeled it with this nickname, cold fusion — it’s slightly disparaging, of course. So this is what Rossi had made up his mind to work on, had asked around, then he phoned a colleague of mine in Bologna who had written a report on cold fusion, and asked him who the leading expert in Italy was. My colleague named me, because he knew I had gone ahead. So Rossi calls me and tells me he’s interested in the subject. We met, talked things over, and I could see that he had some innovative ideas; for instance, he immediately thought of using powder. Powder increases the surfaces involved and thereby increases the hydrogen which gets into the metal. We came to an agreement and began conducting experiments — this happened about two and a half /three years ago — in Bondeno, where he had an assembly plant, he was running a business there.”

And from Andrea Rossi’s point of view:

“And I knew him as an expert so I hired him as a consultant, and I asked him, not to see if my process could work, but I demanded him to demonstrate that it could not work. Because I wanted… You know a very strong to be sure it was worth [spending up to 16 hours a day – taking time from the main business]… It was July 2007.”

Once more, we have people arguing that it is trivial to prove that the eCat works as a black box and yet these same people believe that Professor Focardi has been fooled for four years – seeing the output of a non-existing furnace as Rossi mesmerises him with his magic eye. Remember, Professor Focardi was recommended (rightly) as an expert in the field. He has been making calorimetry measurements for years – these at orders of magnitude lower than the kW outputs claimed for the eCat.

As always, I do not argue if he is right or wrong, but caution against intellectual dishonesty when people attack the person in an attempt to convince others to doubt his words. Focardi is old. Levi is a fool who cannot measure. The Swedish physicists, Kullander and Essen are idiots who are now back-peddling, Professor Gallantini does not know how to measure steam energy – mistaking Watts for Kilowatts. The physicist, diplomat and businessman, Stremmenos, is incapable of performing experiments. His former partners (now of Ampenergo) are gullible businessmen who believe Rossi without checking for themselves.

And Andrea Rossi selected these otherwise credible players from a cast of thousands, chosen for their flaws, with no minds of their own to see the strings that control them.

Posted by on August 29, 2011. Filed under History,Krivit,Media & Blogs,Rossi,Videos. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

53 Responses to Professor Focardi

1. maryyugo

August 29, 2011 at 4:52 pm

The scenario is strange either way. Either you believe Rossi who flails away at snakes and clowns and won’t do a simple cheap experiment in public to prove his E-cat works *or* you have to believe he managed to pull the wool over the eyes of so many people who should have known better. That’s why this situation is so entertaining. But yes, it’s possible for a number of credible players to make mistakes. Steorn is a 20 million Euro situation involving more than a dozen investors, not a one of whom did proper diligence. So such things can happen.

Maybe we’ll know more in a month or two, maybe not. It will be fun to see.

• John Dlouhy

August 29, 2011 at 6:29 pm

You often mention this company, Steorn , in your posts. I remember a full page ad they placed in the Economist magazine a few years ago, and then nothing afterwards. I notice they still have an active website. If this is, in fact, the same company, how is it they remain active after having been proven to commit a 20 million Euro fraud? This could sound like a loaded question but its meant sincerely. Shouldn’t these guys be in jail and the website closed?

• Thicket

August 29, 2011 at 6:56 pm

John Dlouhy

It’s a very long story that some here know about. That includes Paul Story who was (maybe still is?) an avid Steorn supporter.

Here is a brief summary.

* The Economist Ad you saw talked about a Jury. That Jury actually came into existence. A couple of years after the ad, the Jury announced that Steorn had not demonstrated their magnetic motor claims.

* There was a demonstration fiasco in London when the Steorn Orbo failed to move.

* There was another fiasco at Waterways in Dublin where Steorn claimed to be demonstrating their free energy magnetic motor. The battery running the Orbo was in plain view.

* There was a mish-mash of Steorn forums. The public one was shut down. There were at least two forums for the ‘inner circle’ where the deepest Steorn secrets were revealed. In theory, payment was required for membership in the most ‘inner circle’ but it wasn’t clear how many paid. I don’t think any official Steorn private forums still exist (I may be wrong).

* The running of the company has been taken over by a Board of Directors consisting of investors. Most of the board are Irish farmers.

* There hasn’t been a peep out of Steorn for quite some time.

Unfortunately, most frauds are never prosecuted. That includes Steorn. Some feel that Sean McCarthy of Steorn is delusional and actually believes what he says.

• Ben

August 29, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Steorn seems to be the Magna Opus of the cynic community. There seems to be a belief in that crowd that since Steorn failed to live up to the hype, all others more than likely will be subject to the same fate. I myself don’t know that much about them and probably would know even less if they hadn’t been mentioned so many times in these forms. Here is the extent of my knowledge.

* Our own resident antagonist, the ubiquitous Yugo, posted in one form 6300+ times before being banned. Like the posts here, I am sure they were all made while on “break” at her job as a nuclear safety consultant.

* Steorn was trying to tap into the elusive “zero point” energy field. While theorized to exist by prominent physicists such as Albert Einstein, it has never been proven. A small religious commune in Switzerland has reportedly operated a device, the Swiss ML Testatika, since the 1970s that reportedly runs off of zero point.

* Steorn, despite reports to the contrary, is still in business and is expected to break even this year and show a profit next year. They apparently are selling “experimental licenses” that give people access to the reported technology so they can attempt replications on their own.

* There are some reported replications on YouTube of the Steorn Orbo. I can’t attest to their authenticity.

Because of the constant crowing about Steorn by those on here by those who often resort to lies, misinformation and distortion, I may look into it further at some point in the future. I have an inkling there is more to this story than detractors would have us believe.

• Thicket

August 29, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Ben

Steorn’s claim was that they broke the laws of thermodynamics. It said so right on their website and was repeated many times. The ‘inventor’ Sean McCarthy has mentioned dark matter and ZPE but these were never at the core of McCarthy’s claim.

I have no idea how Steorn can make a profit. They have no product. They tried to sell measuring probes at one point, a do-it-yourself free energy kit, and a membership fee for their forums, but these bombed out.

Steorn is only one example of pseudoscientifc frauds. Others include Blacklight Power, Perendev (Mike Brady is in jail), Dennis Lee, Archer Quinn, Joe Newman, Tilly, Lutec, Joe Cell, Power Balance Bracelets, Sniffex, Mark Goldes and many others.

• maryyugo

August 30, 2011 at 7:28 am

“Our own resident antagonist, the ubiquitous Yugo, posted in one form 6300+ times before being banned.”

I have no idea how many times I posted on Steorn’s forum. I contributed to it for more than three years. I was originally banned because the idiots who ran the forum thought I was Penny Gruber. I’m not. They reinstated me and best I recall, I was not banned again. The forum was discontinued and all posts were erased about a year ago when it was obvious that Steorn was a glaring and obvious fraud and could not stand up to any critical examination. That Defkalion closed their forum and that Rossi heavily censors his blog are discouraging signs suggesting they too are frauds.

“Like the posts here, I am sure they were all made while on “break” at her job as a nuclear safety consultant. ”

I’ve never had a job as a nuclear safety consultant. I worked in a totally different area on an Air Force contract for a company that *also* did that sort of work. Do you have a comprehension problem or do you just make up stuff? All of that was more than ten years ago! It’s not what I do now.

Testaskika is unlikely and has never been independently tested and shown to work. It’s also a probably fraud.

Steorn has never been able when asked to name a SINGLE customer or client. As to replicating, their most illustrious and skilled replicator and a person who made stuff for them goes under the pen name of ClaNZer. He tried for years to make anything overunity using Steorn designs and was unable and he gave up. The only people who did claim to duplicate Steorn’s work are weirdoes like Naudin who claims all sorts of unlikely things and never proves them properly.

Steorn has never named a single company, lab or other well known and reliable entity who tested their product. They’ve never been able to say the name and identity of anyone who bought their test kits. Nobody has ever said they bought one and made it work. The whole thing is a fanciful obvious categorically clear FRAUD. From the start. And they bamboozled investors into a loss of 20+ million Euros. There is nothing to suggest they sell anything, ever sold anything, and ever had any income. And their annual statements have been downloaded and analyzed by someone under the pen name of Ping and it was verified they have nothing but losses. They’re just crooks– not self deluded either.

Everything needed for proper tests was explained to Sean (Steorn’s president) and he either ignored the posts or he agreed to do the tests and provide the data and then he never did it. PURE FRAUD. Absolutely guaranteed.

• Bill Nichols

August 30, 2011 at 8:45 am

FWIW…Maryyugo is essentially correct w/r/t Steorn. Followed them closely from their inception and their blog and the above description reflect my recollections.

• timycelyn

August 30, 2011 at 9:51 am

MY – thannks for this bit of history, since Steorn seems to be mentioned – rightly or wrongly – as a possible parallel almost ad nausuem in these discussions.

But you cannot resist getting that little bit of unbalanced snide in occasionally, can you? You criticise Rossi (repeatedly) for censoring his blog, but you compltely fail to mention the balance point that so does Krivit – as was reported at length by another blogger recently.

Just another example of your slant, hmmmm…..

• John Dlouhy

August 30, 2011 at 4:46 pm

To marylada

The notion that moderating a forum suggests fraud is ludicrous. You and and I know that an open forum is easily subject to attack and simply not possible when it deals with contentious issues. No professional forums are un-moderated. This idea is so obviously self serving its comical.

• maryyugo

August 30, 2011 at 5:23 pm

“You criticise Rossi (repeatedly) for censoring his blog, but you compltely fail to mention the balance point that so does Krivit ”

That’s a valid issue. And yes, I agree that forums have to be protected by moderation but that protection should only apply to spamming, people leaving destructive posts (large amounts of space, large images, obscenities, and obvious libelous accusations (for example “Dr. Blank is a child molester” (when Dr. Blank is in fact not a child molester.). But on topic posts should be left alone, just as Paul Story does here so far, to his credit as a moderator.

As to Krivit, I have no idea. Have you tried to post something that disagrees with him? Did he refuse it without saying why? It doesn’t really matter much — Krivit isn’t making claims to a new form of energy. Rossi is. That’s a big difference. Or as the medical people say a vas deferens.

• John Dlouhy

August 30, 2011 at 5:53 pm

I meant yugo not lada…Sorry, I get my cheap Russian cars mixed up sometime!

• maryyugo

August 31, 2011 at 2:32 am

“I meant yugo not lada…Sorry, I get my cheap Russian cars mixed up sometime!”

What you get mixed up is your collection of lousy attempts at trite jokes.

• John Dlouhy

August 31, 2011 at 3:25 am

?

• Anapopei

August 29, 2011 at 7:18 pm

The thing is that if Rossi had placed the e-cat in a company and started offering shares, we would have typical set-up for a scam, like Steorn for instance. But that is not what Rossi has done. Instead he has been seeking industrial partners with which has concluded licence agreements. One of the licensees, Defklalion, is (was?) definitely not a serious company, but LTI (Ampenergo) seems to operate a respectable business. There is no actual reason to think that they didn’t do their homework, a due diligence, expect that is makes sense because otherwise the e-cat must work, on a basic level at least.

• maryyugo

August 30, 2011 at 7:31 am

We have no real idea what Rossi is doing. Both Defkalion and Ampenergo have officer who are mostly friends and past associates of Rossi. I have no idea why you think it’s a respectable business. Have you seen an audited year end financial report? If so, please share it with us.

“here is no actual reason to think that they didn’t do their homework, a due diligence, ”

Since there is absolutely no evidence either way, there is no way to know who did what, where and when.

• Anapopei

August 30, 2011 at 11:55 am

No, I haven’t looked at LTI’s financial reports but the company has been accepted as a contractor by the US Defense Department. In total, the Defense Department has signed 15 contracts with LTI together worth over USD 4.2 million in recent years.

A company is not supposed to get such government contracts unless it is in good standing condition.

In the absence of evidence and knowledge, we can still make an assessment of what is reasonable.

• maryyugo

August 30, 2011 at 5:19 pm

The Department of Defense gets regularly ripped off. They purchased four Sniffex “instruments” before they realized it was a fraud.

• Anapopei

August 30, 2011 at 6:33 pm

They got ripped off only once, not fifteen times.

• John Dlouhy

August 31, 2011 at 3:28 am

Anapopei shoots…he scores!

• MPBRUNELLI

August 29, 2011 at 11:01 pm

Here is a scenario that has a little more integrity. You can believe Rossi has practical experience challenging energy institutions and the establishments that benefit form them. Having four demonstrations that actually have supporting data, not to mention vague video of a working device, and at the same time keeps his intellectual secret safe from those who harbor ill will.
      While choosing business partners, private tests were done by third party scientists at least five different times(That we know about). Steorn had none of these things, no scientific evidence, no examination of any type, and doesn’t have any reason to be added to the conversation, except to deflect the topic.

• maryyugo

August 30, 2011 at 7:35 am

“Steorn had none of these things, no scientific evidence, no examination of any type, and doesn’t have any reason to be added to the conversation, except to deflect the topic.”

Not true. First, Steorn always claimed to have had their initial device tested by “6 universities” and it was “always found to work– every time”. Unfortunately, those universities did not report the findings just as U of B has not reported that they have done any tests of the E-cat.

Steorn also enlisted three licensed engineers who examined the claim and made a video saying it had to be real. They came to be known in the forum as the “three blind mice” after the child’s poem/song. One later recanted some but not all of his claims. The others have not been heard from since. Sort of like Kullander, Essen and Levi. Three more blind mice, I guess.

A lot of Rossi’s story is very similar to Steorn’s. There are differences – Rossi has persuaded far more people and has allowed some hands on testing which Steorn did not. Unfortunately, that testing wasn’t well done or if it was well done, in Levi’s case, it wasn’t properly recorded and reported.

2. Ben

August 29, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Of course he has to flail at snakes and clowns, as that what happens when you bait them out of their holes and circus tents with puffs of steam. Now that he has them out in the open, he is going to klunk them over the noggin with with a 1Mw device in October.

Well, that’s plan anyway. We shall see.

3. Julius

August 29, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Hello Paul, I really appreciate the neutrality of your site.
    Kudos for your work.

You know sometime ago I suddenly realized: now wait a minute… this prof Focardi… could he be THE Prof. Focardi?
    Yes indeed. He isn’t just an old jeezer/obscure professor. He is a well respected author of university physics texts written during the last 30 years, most of them well in use today in Italy for their clarity of exposition.
    Amazon Italy link for reference: http://goo.gl/jb1US

• John Dlouhy

August 29, 2011 at 8:24 pm

It seemed to me, in the videos, that Dr. Rossi acted humbly, and paid the utmost respect to Dr. Focardi. I thought it might be because of his age, but in light of this information it seems that it was more likely professional. Thanks Julius.

4. Bill Nichols

August 29, 2011 at 7:04 pm

This is a reasoned post that reflects many of the thoughts I’ve had. Well done.

Stay objective, the October tests demonstration and information released about it which Mr Rossi has agreed to do will be most interesting. The comments from observers invited and finally the customer will be equally important.

It is hard to see how Mr Rossi can overcome a failure with so many things he has promised on the line. His human behavior the next 60 days should be equally important with these obvious stresses.

• Thicket

August 29, 2011 at 7:27 pm

Bill Nichols

I agree that Rossi’s human behavior is important. Some of Rossi’s posts in his Journal of Nuclear Physics are not encouraging. In a recent one, Rossi believes that a small army of ‘snakes’ is being financed to discredit his E-Cat. One of Rossi’s escape scenarios could be an old-fashioned conspiracy theory strategy. The posturing and self-aggrandization in his post is a bit much.

——————————–
      Dear Koen Vandewalle:
      Yes, the war is started, for now financing a small army of snakes to discredit the work, aiming to discourage investors. This move has been strategically wrong, therefore a waste of money, because we have structured our policy in a way that anyway we will hit the market in alliance with very strong Partners. But the biggest Partner will be the Universe of our Customers. Even if, accidentally, something would happen to me to forbid the continuation of my work, a structure is ready to go on anyway.
      You are right, I expect a toughest action against us, but a man with my past is not easy to be impressed.

• Bill Nichols

August 29, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Thicket

One project of mine in the past became huge with unprecedented consequences to military weapon systems. The stress will get to you and the importance of having a strong support system. For this reason, do not envy his situation either way. My experiences, its like being continuing squeezed and suffocating. Ignoring it or having unrealistic expectations makes it much worse on one’s health and well being.

The more emotional, reactionary and judgmental (i.e fear), the more the concern. This should make sense.

From my experiences, care more for him as a person going forward. Fame is irrelevant if one loses your self.

My intuition from my past cases of working many future technologies and as a scientist are this is not quite like other proposed revolutionary systems. Mainly because of the scientists involved responses.

About 60 days and counting. We will see.

Bill Nichols

5. Eldering_G

August 29, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Time for some entertainment.

What the future holds in store.

Code Name Ginger: The Story Behind Segway and Dean Kamen’s Quest to Invent a New World by Steve Kemper

From “Publishers Weekly”:

When, in 1999, journalist Kemper started following the efforts of Dean Kamen to invent a new type of transportation device, he could hardly have known the story would turn out to be at once enormous and tiny. Kamen, inventor of the Uber-hyped Segway, was already wealthy from earlier inventions when he set his boutique engineering firm to work on the Segway. Shrouded in secrecy from the beginning, the project quickly took on a messianic quality, with Kamen proclaiming Ginger would be the primary mode of transportation in a decade. The combination of a cool, mysterious new toy with the timing of the late years of the Internet gold rush created a venture capital feeding frenzy, with figures like Steve Jobs and Jeff Bezos clamoring to be a part of project Ginger. Kemper’s rigorously fair-minded book, which gives all due credit to Kamen and his team, also records Ginger’s endless delays, brought about by what he casts as a mixture of Kamen’s egomaniacal hubris and his company’s inability to think in practical terms (the project was shockingly far along before anyone considered what state regulators might think of the new vehicles that would soon vie for space on sidewalks). The last act is well known. Kemper’s book proposal gets leaked and a media circus swirls around the secret world-changing project, only to collapse in a welter of “That’s it?” disappointment. The result is a book that is eye-opening and heartbreaking.

Now do your homework:
    Replace “1999” with “2011”
    Replace “Kemper” with “Krivit”
    Replace “Dean Kamen” with “Andrea Rossi”
    Replace “Segway” and “Ginger” with “E-cat”
    Replace “Transportation device” with “Energy supply”
    Replace “Steve Jobs” with the name of a random billionaire
    Replace “Jeff Bezos” with the name of another random billionaire
    Replace “vehicle” with “power supply”
    Replace “on sidewalks” with “in industries”

Enjoy the result.

September 2, 2011 at 8:01 am

Sorry to barge in but I think you might have forgotten one line :
      Replace “Kamen, … was already wealthy from earlier inventions” with “Rossi…jail time”

6. RERT

August 29, 2011 at 8:40 pm

I’d like to add to the Kudos from Julius above. It is something to do with the tone and frequency of the author’s posts, but this site is the best I’ve come accross on this subject.

Speaking of tone, the arguments here are still repetitious, but I think Krivit has done everyone a service by posting his interviews. Since then, I think most people realise that Focardi and Levi are real physicists, in the former case of some note, and Krivit isn’t. On the other hand, Rossi’s credibility sapping record, contradictions and contractual disputes continue. No-one’s mind has been changed, but thank God the degree of certainty has been slightly toned down, and there is more of a feeling that we are all in the same boat not really sure what is going to happen….

7. John Dlouhy

August 29, 2011 at 8:56 pm

To Bill Nichols

Indeed Dr. Rossi has been explicit, and with the passing of time, ever more specific in what we can expect to see. The dates have not changed in spite of apparent difficulties in negotiations with Defkalion. He has always down played talk of conspiracy against him, even though there are huge interests that stand to lose enormous amounts of wealth should he deliver, not only investors, and large corporations, but entire nations whose economies are almost wholly dependent on fossil fuel exports. I don’t think any of us could honestly imagine being in such a precarious situation. To survive this he would have to be a person of unparalleled acumen.

• Bill Nichols

August 29, 2011 at 9:29 pm

John Dlouhy

Agree w/r/t the stresses he is under. Bringing a system (or in his case a device) on-line is a huge task from past programs worked in. However, since personally observing anomalous energy in the early 1990s, the phenomena is real and if he’s created the magnitude and reliability of energy released…the device as he has stated is and should be remarkably straightforward promoting efficacy. So less points of failure initially. If real, the future applications may be much more a different shoe to fill as he has stated.

What I closely follow as a scientist, is the tone and demeanor of people like Levi, Focardi, Kullander and Essen to name a few. The response and tone of Stremmenos and Defkalion are also actually encouraging. It’s crucial to understand the whole European banking system (and actually the governments too) are collapsing from too much debt related to fractional reserve lending which conflicts with the laws of nature (requires infinite growth on a finite planet). So…Defkalion couldn’t get the financing because liquidity has collapsed.

Our worldwide collapsing banking system is a concern I have as the all the biggest US banks are also insolvent. If a financial event happens in next few months (quite possible)…even if the E-Cat is real…it will impact its commercialization.

Readers should understand that President Obama’s suspension of “Mark To Market’ will create a bigger financial collapse in the US, probably within a year or less from my analysis of the data.

We should never reward “Too Big To Fail”, nor any type of failure. Nature doesn’t. Mr Rossi and his E-Cat future will be in its performance and results, just like happens in nature.

Will restate what I have stated on Rossi’s site, if this is a success…it is a just a beginning. More concerned we are still using the incomplete tools of physics from articles published on his site.

I’m keeping the popcorn warm to see how this all plays out.

2 cents.

Bill Nichols

• Ben

August 29, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Bill Nichols,

Thank you for bringing such practical matters and considerations into this discussion. Amid the din of debate about topics long but dead, has been lost many of the considerations you mention, i.e., personal stressors, a banking system on the brink of collapse and an upcoming presidential election here in the U.S. It would certainly make good drama but the implications go far beyond entertainment. It would be a travesty if this turned out to be real but never saw the light of day due to financial and social upheaval, which is entirely possible. Anybody who opposes the roll-out of the Ecat does not have to delay its debut long to potentially make it inconsequential.

Quite honestly, if Rossi has something real he would be better to reveal it before October but, quite frankly, I don’t see that happening. He may be so engrossed and focused on this project he may not be fully aware of the perfect storm on the horizon. One would think the political and financial situation in Greece would be a wake-up call.

By all means, post your concerns and projections for the U.S. and world economies on his blog so that both he and his readers will be aware of the economic, political and financial storm that is brewing. I would be interested to hear more from you on this blog as October approaches. I feel you bring something to the discussion that is important but lacking at this point.

• John Dlouhy

August 30, 2011 at 12:15 am

Bill Nichols

The Rossi saga is playing out against the backdrop of serious failures in our financial system. People are starving to death by the 10’s of thousands while corporations post record profits. 1 in 7 Americans collect food stamps, while a bank executive rewards himself with a single bonus that could literally have employed a 1000 people for years. The monetary system as a mechanism for wealth distribution is breaking down and our political system is impotent to respond. The debt ceiling fiasco demonstrated that clearly.

The bank crisis of ’08 was never dealt with but was put on hold and I suspect its inevitable failure will be worse as a result. I’m not certain about the effect of this on the E-Cat commercialization though. Not every business fails in an economic collapse (which is what I believe is already underway) and its not impossible that the effect could be positive. There are some major companies with large amounts of cash on their balance sheets looking for investment opportunities. They would not need to borrow in order to finance a major industrial push. Furthermore, the government, who I’m confident is apprised of this invention, could expedite policy favorable to its implementation. Surely there are people in power who understand the utterly fundamental importance of energy in the economic production of wealth.

Based on the comments of others, I think most people are missing the significance here. If Dr. Rossi’s invention is a success, it is bigger than what anyone can imagine. It is cosmic. It is E=mcc serving humanity.

8. John Harris

August 30, 2011 at 3:58 am

I also wonder if the oil companies really need to worry too much about the effects of the e-cat.
    Oil needs for transportation are guarateed for some time because of the lag time in seeing a change over to a different energy source. Same applies for large generating capacity the will be a significant lead time.
    For the future the need for oil in the chemical and plastics industries will continue and if the price as not influenced by energy requirement the oil price could increase probably 10 fold without having the dire consequences that arise now.

• John Dlouhy

August 30, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Oil companies do NOT need to worry about the effects of the E-Cat. If they simply lowered their exploration investment slightly, E-Cat’s couldn’t be built fast enough to make up for the declining NET oil production. That is true in the short term.

In the long term, as more factories are built, and the rate of production increases, I believe we would see a very gradual attrition in oil production starting at the margins where production costs are highest, deep offshore and tar sands for example. The enormous size of the energy economy ensures that the changes cannot be fast. During this energy transition, companies will have plenty of time to adapt, if their leaders are forward looking. Where they might fail is in anticipating the effects of EXPONENTIAL growth.

When the internet arrived, it threatened to make obsolete a lot of existing businesses. Many stuck their heads in the sand and hoped nothing bad would happen. And a few years later, were still around thinking they had escaped their fate. But the internet was growing exponentially which means growth in the first years seemed small and manageable. Then suddenly, growth passed through the “knee” of the exponential curve, the part where it suddenly rockets upward, and these companies were caught off guard. They are gone now. That doesn’t have to happen to existing energy companies if they are willing to make changes but some will no doubt fail.

I believe NATIONS whose economies are heavily weighted towards oil exports might be in greater danger than companies. The MENA countries, collectively export less than the tiny country of Switzerland, when you exclude oil. What will sustain these economies, and their millions of people, when the demand for oil begins declining? Easy oil money is an addiction that can be hard to break. Even G20 nations like Norway or Canada could be severely affected. I think the outcomes could be highly dependent on the actions of their leaders.

9. Haldor

August 30, 2011 at 9:00 am

When a man of enigmatic proportions like Prof. Sergio Focardi is asked if he has anything more to say to be added to his interview and he answers:
    “I am having lots of fun”

I would have liked to see the look on Steven Krivit face………..

August 30, 2011 at 9:27 am

If a man prospecting for gold in a new area digs one hundred holes and finds nothing does that mean the next hole will be empty as well.
    When he goes to the pub, should he keep telling everybody in detail about every empty hole he dug.
    Only an optimist survives and can say look in the next hole, forget the last failure.
    Many will say he is crazy, wasting his time, seen it all before, but when one day he walks into town carrying his full bag of gold they will all be running out to buy shovels to find their share, even the most irrational skeptics amongst them.

August 30, 2011 at 10:00 am

Would anybody agree that if science cared in any way for the truth, honesty, decency,and it’s reputation (based on the geniuses of the first half of the twentieth century) that has been falling apart for fifty years, they would NOW have a totally independent, unbiased inquiry into the Pons etc fiasco.
    If the University’s etc have not destroyed all the records, it should take no time.
    The coincidence of science confirming Cold Fusion by the same principle as Pons etc reported would stretch credibility to the limit.
    If something is not done soon, one or both may not be alive to receive the Nobel Prizes that if their research was confirmed they would so deserve.

August 30, 2011 at 10:33 am

People are biased against creative ideas, studies find
    August 26, 2011 By Mary Catt

“How is it that people say they want creativity but in reality often reject it?” said Jack Goncalo, ILR School assistant professor of organizational behavior and co-author of research to be published in an upcoming issue of the journal Psychological Science. The paper reports on two 2010 experiments at the University of Pennsylvania involving more than 200 people.
    The studies’ findings include:
    Creative ideas are by definition novel, and novelty can trigger feelings of uncertainty that make most people uncomfortable.
    People dismiss creative ideas in favor of ideas that are purely practical — tried and true.
    Objective evidence shoring up the validity of a creative proposal does not motivate people to accept it.
    Anti-creativity bias is so subtle that people are unaware of it, which can interfere with their ability to recognize a creative idea.
    For example, subjects had a negative reaction to a running shoe equipped with nanotechnology that adjusted fabric thickness to cool the foot and reduce blisters.
    To uncover bias against creativity, the researchers used a subtle technique to measure unconscious bias — the kind to which people may not want to admit, such as racism. Results revealed that while people explicitly claimed to desire creative ideas, they actually associated creative ideas with negative words such as “vomit,” “poison” and “agony.”
    Goncalo said this bias caused subjects to reject ideas for new products that were novel and high quality.
    “Our findings imply a deep irony,” wrote the authors, who also included Jennifer Mueller of the University of Pennsylvania and Shimul Melwani of the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill.
    Uncertainty drives the search for and generation of creative ideas, but “uncertainty also makes us less able to recognize creativity, perhaps when we need it most,” the researchers wrote. “Revealing the existence and nature of a bias against creativity can help explain why people might reject creative ideas and stifle scientific advancements, even in the face of strong intentions to the contrary. … The field of creativity may need to shift its current focus from identifying how to generate more creative ideas to identify how to help innovative institutions recognize and accept creativity.”
    The study, “The Bias Against Creativity: Why People Desire But Reject Creative Ideas,” might validate the frustrations of creative people, Goncalo said.
    Provided by Cornell University (news : web)

August 30, 2011 at 11:09 am

georgehants
    August 30th, 2011 at 4:27 AM
    Dear Mr. Rossi,
    May I ask you,
    1, In which year did you begin to research your E-CAT.
    2, What convinced you to begin the research.
    3, In which year did your experiments first convince you that the effect was genuine.
    Best Wishes.

August 30th, 2011 at 4:41 AM
    Dear Georgehants:
    1- About 1990
    2- I was convinced that it was possible
    3- 1998: got the first burst of energy, in the USA

August 30, 2011 at 11:29 am

From the dates it seems clear, although not stated that Mr. Rossi was inspired by Pons etc. if so and if the E-CAT is genuine than a lone scientist with little finance and help out classed the whole of the scientific world.
    If this man successfully demonstrates Cold Fusion one would hope the scientific establishment, journals etc. will unreservedly admit their failure and acknowledge him as the Great Scientist that he surely will be.

• jcragris

August 30, 2011 at 2:08 pm

TO Georgehants:

I think rather than Mr Rossi is a pure inventor who joined Mr. Focardi (pure science) in order to synthesize the scientific reports to convince the scientific community
      see the two reports from January and March 2010:
      Both reports are not very different, but there are elements in bold in the report in January that emphasize certain key elements noted in their scientific experimentations.
      Note experiments with LTI, DOD and DOE in the United States!!!! (page 4)
      This reports has been written certainly by Focardi which has a long experience with the publication of scientific reports.
      I think it’s the combination of these two people who led the spectacular advances to the public demonstrations in Bologna.
      I wonder again about the objectivity of those who are desperate to convince us to take an attempt at fraud.
      It’s the magic of the Internet to find all that is above-mentioned and said!

August 30, 2011 at 4:13 pm

In main-line research one usually has a theorist and an experimentalist to design and make the equipment, both are clearly defined as scientists, plus my definition of a scientist is the original Greek, seeker of knowledge.
        Rossi says he has a theory on the “beyond known science” explanation of the effect.

• jcragris

August 30, 2011 at 4:33 pm

I really appreciate Rossi, but I think it has an over-sized ego and that he sometimes used the “I” instead of “we”. Certainly Focardi is best able to explain the cold fusion phenomenon.
          But i understand your point of view!

August 30, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Big ego sometimes necessary, I fully agree that he should give all due credit to Focardi.

• jcragris

August 30, 2011 at 2:20 pm

see the two reports from January and March 2010:
      Note experiments with LTI, DOD and DOE in the United States!!!! (page 4)
      It’s the magic of the Internet to find all that is above-mentioned and said!

• jcragris

August 30, 2011 at 4:24 pm

sorry for the duplicate!

15. Mark Dean

August 30, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Rossi should connect the 1 MW plant to the electric and have the local electric company verify it’s producing 1MW of electricity.

• jcragris

August 30, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Sorry, 1MW of heat, not electricity.
      1MW heat give max 350KW electricity.

• maryyugo

August 31, 2011 at 2:35 am

Rossi should properly test and have independently tested a small, table top sized E-cat. That’s much easier, more direct and cheaper/faster to do than trying to measure the output and perhaps input power of a giant megawatt device accurately.

• Rockyspoon

September 1, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Yes, but a small table-top E-cat would never have the impact that a MW unit will have. Besides, there are certainly instruments capable of measuring the output of a MW unit–sure they’re more expensive, but obviously worth the price. I’d say let’s let Rossi determine how/when/where he demonstrates his invention–not you.

16. Mark Goldes

September 3, 2011 at 6:49 pm

Replacement for oil does not depend on Rossi or his competitors.

Joule Unlimited is in pilot plant production of diesel using sunlight, water, CO2 and bacteria. They state they could sell it for $20/barrel.

The Rossi reactor, should it be confirmed, may not be nuclear. See E-Cat plus on my non-profit Aesop Institute website for an alternative possibility and a reference to work done years ago, on an Air Force contract, that may prove related. It was also based on Nickel – Hydrogen.

This forum is much appreciated.