Nobel Physicist Invited to Test 1MW Plant

July 30, 2011

Brian Josephson, the Nobel Prize-winning physicist, asked a question on Andrea Rossi’s blog about the quality of the 1MW demonstration in October. He has been a defender of true research in the LENR field, frequently challenging debunkers to back up their objections with logic instead of repeating the same one-sided attacks so often a signature of pseudosceptics. In answer, Rossi invited him to the test. I am assuming that the question did come from Josephson but there is no doubt that the invite is real:

• October demo
    Andrea,

You’ve said the 1MW E-cat due in October will be the real test, but in what way will it be more convincing than the ones done so far? Will it be done in such a way that people are sure about the amount of water/steam coming out of the reactor, and how dry the steam is (which affects the heat content)?

• Andrea Rossi

Dear Prof. Brian Josephson (Nobel Prize),
    First of all, thank you for your very important attention.
    Please read very carefully what I am writing to you:
    1-The 1 MW plant that we will start up in October will be tested, on behalf of our Customer, by very, very high level world class scientists. You are in the list, so please, if you want and you can, take free the last week of October.
    2- The test will be witnessed by several very, very high level world class scientific journalists
    3- The E-Cats we are working with now in our factories, which will be the modules of the 1 MW plant, are producing perfectly dry steam, mostly without energy input, as you will see yourself if you will honour us with your presence.
    Very Warm Regards,

Done properly (and it will have to be), this public launch should provide enough proof for potential customers. At that point, and not before (no matter who calls for it) we will have some certainty about what happens next. If the launch is also attended by senior science correspondents, this is also the time we should see the story break – one way or another, depending on results. As so many people have said before, proving such a beast will not be hard and the time for preparation should help arm those like Brian Josephson (assuming he accepts) to be ready to give us a definitive ‘yes’ or ‘no’.

Posted by on July 30, 2011. Filed under Hands-On,Hyperion,Media & Blogs,Tests & Demos. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

9 Responses to Nobel Physicist Invited to Test 1MW Plant

1. Robert Norman

July 30, 2011 at 8:53 pm

There is some confusion on my part. The 1 MW energy to be demonstrated, is in Heat output I assume. If it is in electrical power there is the whole conversion efficiency issue. I hope to use the ecat on some designs I am working on and the conversion efficiency is my biggest issue. Thermo Accoustic may be very good depending on the temperature
    Is super heated oil a possibility when using the ecat?

• admin

July 30, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Hi Robert,

Yes, the powers are thermal. I believe that Defkalion has a 3.5MW (thermal) system in the works and of course, married to the correct generator, you should get around 1MW electriic. There is a whole series of posts regarding possible electric conversion systems on AR’s blog. Choosing the correct match is proving a problem for him. As to your question regarding superheated oil – I doubt it as in the following post (http://ecatnews.com/?p=565) you see that he prefers to operate the system output at around 200 centrigrade and – if my memory serves – the max possible is around 440C. If I were you I would ask him the question directly on his blog here:

Good luck

• John McManus

July 31, 2011 at 8:31 pm

The cell core temperature must be kept lower than 440 or 460 gegree as this is the self ignition teperature of Hydrogen gas.
        Cheers John M

• Colin Hercus

August 1, 2011 at 7:10 am

Hi John,

Isn’t that self ignition temperature for hydrogen in air which means the limit could easily be avoided by first evacuating the air from the reactor before loading the hydrogen?
          Colin

• DrowningTrout

August 1, 2011 at 9:19 am

There is no Oxygen in the reaction chamber.

2. Pingback: Nobel Physicist Invited to Test 1MW Plant | eCatNow! – Energy Catalyzer News

3. curiùs

August 1, 2011 at 7:10 am

Sorry but I don’t get the Rossi answer. I’m pretty confused.
    Brian Josephson asked “how” the output is going to be checked and he answers to come and check by himself.
    Sorry I’m not English native speaking but is this the meaning ?

4. James

August 1, 2011 at 4:55 pm

So far not one cup of hot tea!
    Keep your money in your pockets.

5. Rockyspoon

August 1, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Sorry, James. There’s no publicly traded stock you can purchase regarding the E-Cat: The companies taking it into production have all the money they need (I understand it was from private placements and apparently you weren’t on the list–but then neither was I, so I’m not happy about it either).