Andrea Rossi a Lone Fraudster?

July 14, 2011

Hydrogen/Nickel cold fusion probable mechanism

Francesco Cavaliere
June 19th, 2011 at 3:42 AM
Dear Mr. Rossi,
Personally I think we are in front of a major breakthrough in energy production and most likely a Nobel price too.
I work for an important semiconductor company and it would be a great pleasure for us to initiate a co-operation with your company.
Please contact me for further discussions.
Best Regards,
Francesco Cavaliere

Andrea Rossi and representatives of Defkalion GT and Ampenergo have hinted about the interest they were receiving from major companies around the world. While there is no certainty that the person above is the same FC who worked for Texas instruments (and now AustriaMicroSystems?) as Senior Design Engineer it makes you wonder at what deals are being made behind the scenes.

In talking about using the eCat in the feedwater phase – an energy-hungry preheating stage in the heat-to-electricity process – Andrea Rossi says (http://www.journal-of-nuclear-physics.com/?p=497&cpage=14#comment-51156) that

“…this is exactly the application which very likely will be made in the USA by a very important Customer…”

If this is so, it is hard to believe that he would be taken seriously without a real demo to the standard required for due diligence.

Defkalion Green Technologies has also said (in apparent contradiction to AR – http://ecatnews.com/?p=388) that they will be making the eCat cores and not only the surrounding boiler that makes up the Hyperion. They further state that they have a number of systems in-hand and perform tests all the time (always giving a gain better than 19 – http://ecatnews.com/?p=243).

Taken together, it would seem that, for those waiting for the other scammy shoe to drop, you would have to accept that Defkalion GT and Ampenergo are not victims but players in the game. That is a hell of a stretch.

It is this sort of circumstantial evidence – a short example of many – that makes it difficult to reconcile the view that Andrea Rossi is somehow pulling the wool over all these people’s eyes.

The following is a list of people and organisations that would have to be bamboozled in order for Andrea Rossi to pass a dud eCat as the coming saviour of us all.

Focardi
Levi
Kullander
Essen
Lewan
Defkalion Executives
Defkalion Investors
Defkalion Engineers
His former colleagues, now at Ampenergo
Greek Authorities
Italian Patent Examiners
Gobal Partners wishing to join Defkalion’s franchise in October

…And probably many more…

It is dangerous to think that such a thing is impossible – history is full of extraordinary examples of fraud on a massive scale (Madhoff, Hitler Diaries, Enron etc) but – as pseudosceptics often point out – this is an arena with a history. As they also point out; the test for such a gain as claimed for the eCat is simple and quick. This is not a complex lab experiment or something with the promise of working next year at the cost of millions, but an inexpensive and portable furnace that will fool no-one wary of risking their money or their reputation – if it does not work. Anyone with half a brain will approach the subject with alarm bells in their ears.

And yet, there they are.

Posted by on July 14, 2011. Filed under Business,Defkalion,Hyperion,Rossi,Tests & Demos. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

21 Responses to Andrea Rossi a Lone Fraudster?

1. Renzo

July 14, 2011 at 6:54 pm

I’ve been thinking the same for months. The doubts about the public tests have merits but they are meaningless in the larger context. It is absolutely impossible that Defkalion engineers could be deceived, indeed according to their claims they have devices far advanced than the crude ones showed us by Rossi. And the idea to build the E-Cat in Greece was proposed to Rossi by prof. Stremmenos who is above suspect and now in Defkalion board. Rossi had no previous relations with the investors, how could they organize such a scam behind the back of Stremmenos? It seems too impractical. And why pay a university to test the device? And why a specific timeline for the factory and sales? In this way, if this is a scam, they are assured to be exposed in the first months of 2012 or probably earlier. The only proposed scam scenario I’ve read about is for Defkalion collecting some millions in down payments in the august meetings. Again, I don’t believe they can fool large companies that are able to pay millions for a country exclusive. Good luck if they try, I don’t think they will evade the killers 🙂

• admin

July 14, 2011 at 8:11 pm

lol!

We would have to think AR a mad genius to have pulled this thing off over such an extended period of time. Not impossible and for my girl Prudence’s sake I remain open to it. The belief that something is too big, too detailed and involves too many smart people is the road to Enron and governments getting swindled out of trillions of dollars that have to be paid back to the very people who caused it.

A scam seems impossible but we don’t have to decide yet, so mixing our hope and excitement with a little caution does no harm. It’s what AR would advise.

2. Julian Brown

July 17, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Rossi gave me a personal demonstration of a group of 4 e-cats working at his premises outside Bologna on Friday 8th. I saw essentially the same set up reported by Krivit in June.

I was there in the capacity of friendly off-the-record adviser re patenting issues.

Whilst I didn’t like the tone of Krivit’s June 16 report, I had arrived in Bologna full of optimism.

I am afraid that I now fully share Krivit’s opinion.

There are a number of reasons for this. Here are a few.

As has been pointed out numerous times on this blog, the dryness of the steam/water vapur is abolutely crucial to the viability of the e-cat.

Imagine my astonishment and disappointment on finding that Rossi makes no attempt to monitor the dryness of the output and there was no appropiate equipment visible on the premises.

It follows that Rossi can not possibly know whether he has 1,2 5 or even 10 percent unvaporized phase by weight. Passive observers like myself, Krivit, Essen & Kullander have even less chance of determining this crucial parameter.

Even worse, since the output tube went straight through a hole in the wall to be vented/flushed outside, it could have been pure hot water and nobody, least of all Rossi, could possibly know.

Basically, the whole set up defies even approximate quantitative calorimetric analysis.

Another odd thing was that Rossi pumped up the electrical power for a minute or two shortly before turning it off and allowing me to see that the water kept an output temperature of 100.5 for a couple of minutes.

This gave me the impression that it was a performance for my benefit and not the rigorous testing procedure that the technician sitting in front of the PC appeared to suggest.

The final clincher for me is that Rossi made a point of telling me that he was currently vaporizing 15 litres / hour.
    BUT, the peristaltic pump was exactly the same one he uses in all demonstrations and it was pulsing about once every 2.5 seconds.
    I make that 3 litres / hour, only 20 percent of what Rossi told me verbally.

And yet this small flow was being shared amongst 4 e-cat modules. That isnt much of a stress test is it ?

The small chimney will result in a small overpressure and a boiling temperature > 100 Celsius, so I am not impressed by 100.5 Celsius

I must admit that I didnt reach these dismal conclusion on the day. It took about 3 days of pondering what I had seen before all the pieces of the puzzle dropped into place.

It may be this explains why Rossi has been able to convince so many qualified people.
    You dont want to believe it is just a gross and extremely simple circus trick.

He certainly has a charming manner; I liked him and would never suggest he has criminal intent. My hunch is that he did make a discovery that goes beyond the level acheived by Piantelli and Focardi, but that he got too enthusiastic too soon, before he had really done due diligence. He is now trapped in the web of commitments and claims he has made. A tragic figure really.

PS I was in experimental atomic physics research at Oxford from 1981-1989 and have since that time been an employee of the European Patent Office.

3. Julian Brown

July 17, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Can i ask you, for the sake of my family, to remove my submission to your blog.

It was sent in good faith, because I really care about the LENR field and don’t want it to suffer yet another set back, but I see I may have stirred up a hornet’s nest.

Julian Brown

• Ivan Mohorovicic

July 18, 2011 at 3:08 am

Too late, I guess.

4. Pingback: Cold Fusion, Cold Revenge | - Independent eCat News

5. vocesolitaria

July 18, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Julian,
    even if I continue to hope that the e-cat could solve our energy related problems, I fully understand and support your attitude in this regard.
    Luciano

6. admin

July 18, 2011 at 7:45 pm

I pm’d Julian about this and take him on his word that the comment was made in good faith even if I find his ultimate conclusion a bit of a leap. That is only my opinion and he has seen the eCat and I have not. I stand ready to be proven wrong. We will all know soon enough.

7. maryyugo

July 18, 2011 at 11:27 pm

I asked Mr. Rossi on his blog (the answer appears but for some reason not the question):

Dear Mr Rossi,

Why don’t you destroy once and for all the disinformation from those “clowns and snakes”? What if your E-cat was tested independently by a government laboratory such as Sandia or CERN or Oak Ridge or Lawrence Livermore or NASA Houston? What if you had tests done at Cal Tech, MIT, Oxford or Cambridge? And what if those test results were published in the magazines Science or Nature? What could the clowns and snakes do then? Could I persuade you to do those things right away or as soon as possible?

I am not talking about research such as the program you will start in October with U. of Bologna. The tests I am suggesting could be simple tests of input and output energy and they could be done without opening the E-cat. I could do tests like that within a couple of weeks using liquid flow calorimetry or complete trapping and condensation of the steam. If you had such tests done, the snakes and clowns would no longer have “a leg to stand on” (if you forgive the American expression).

Thank you.

M. Y.
    ==================

His reply was:

July 18th, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Dear Maryyugo:
    I repeat: no more public tests will be made. The tests will be made by our Customers with the plants they will buy, based on precise guarantees we give.
    If our Customers will want to make their plants tested from third parties, this will be a right of them.
    Warmkest Regards,

Here: http://www.journal-of-nuclear-physics.com/?p=501#comments

8. Pingback: Andrea Rossi a Lone Fraudster? | eCatNow – Energy Catalyzer – Andrea Rossi

9. Wade

July 19, 2011 at 10:50 pm

It’s very simple what’s happening.

This technology is so disruptive that the media in the U.S. isn’t even mentioning it at all, either because of it’s disruptive nature, or becasue teh U.S. media and scientists are too embarassed to admit publicly that it works after they smeared Fleischmann and Pons.

The technology has to be phased in behind the scenes first, because if this hit the market all at once, it could potentially cause world economic collapse; energy alone represents around 20% of world GDP.

This technology has the potential to reduce energy to less than 1% of world GDP by the time of total market saturation, so we are talking roughly, theoretically, at world market saturation an average difference of maybe $14 trillion U.S. per year in long term energy prices world wide, since almost all of the cost of energy will be the initial investment in the device itself, not the fuel, since Nickel is so cheap relative to the amount of energy the devices are said to produce.

Now total world market saturation would take a decade or two, but the point is oil futures and Coal prices would collapse to near-zero and destroy the world stock markets if people REALLY understood what this invention means…

10. Pingback: The clown that stirred the hornet´s nest! | eCatNow – Energy Catalyzer – Andrea Rossi

11. Pingback: The clown that stirred the hornet´s nest! | eCatNow – Energy Catalyzer – Andrea Rossi

12. Italo

July 20, 2011 at 10:55 am

I was thinking about all the messages written about compute of energy gain in E-Cats, and on the disputes about the correct measurements in output water/steam to determine if the E-Cat really isn’t a fraud.
    OK, all these arguments could be real and it would be necessary a new public test on E-Cat (but Rossi doesn’t permit it).
    BUT: when an E-Cat is running in SELF SUSTAINED MODE, without energy in input and water (or steam) in the output is hotter than input water, it means tha it isn’t necessary making precise measurements. IT IS A REAL THING!!

13. Mario Tuscan Optimist

July 20, 2011 at 11:47 am

Wade, I quite agree with you; this thing if proven beyond doubt by the 1 MW plant in October, will cause governments a lot of headaches. A lot of technologies will become obsolete or will no longer receive funding (PhotoVoltaic, ITER giant research, Wind farms, etc) and governments will only be too happy to scale down investments towards LENR only. What they won’t like is having to deal with lost revenues once E-Cats reach the market. They’ll try to tax home energy production but voters will revolt.
    If, as Defkalion state, the Greek order book covers the next five years, then they need creating a lot of new factories to cover demand. That’ll be a slow and gigantic effort, unless the Chinese also step in. We’ll have to see if China breaks the industrial secret and its clones will find their way into developed and undeveloped markets. This is the real reason for Rossi’s effort at secrecy and his haste to get to market without bothering about continuous demands for technical and scientific reassurance by the scientific community.

14. Jay

July 21, 2011 at 5:53 am

Sometime between the Feb 11 demonstration and the Kullander-Essen demonstration, Rossi re-designed the prototype ecats to be smaller with less output. I believe this was done to mitigate a power spike problem at startup. Why do this if the devices are a fraud?

15. Italo

July 21, 2011 at 7:21 am

From his blog: Dr. Rossi needs turbine for his E-Cat, he could buy at once thousands of pieces:

July 20th, 2011 at 9:41 PM
    Dear Joseph,
    I really need help on this issue: I have contacted all the exotic turbines manufacturer I have been made aware of, but always found very, very “green” ( meaning not mature) technologies, not ready to fight in the battlefield of the market. Should I find a turbine fit for my E-Cats I would immediately buy one to test it, and if it goes I could buy thousands of pieces.
    We are working with some manufacturer, but I didn,t still found a solution to sell to our Customers.
    I need real proposals, not enlighting ideas.
    Thank you for real proposals coming: I am a customer ready to buy, preferably from the USA, where our reactors are manufactured.

• admin

July 21, 2011 at 8:27 am

Thanks, Italo. I had seen it but your comment pushes its importance in my mind and so I’ve made it a post.

16. William Connerty

July 22, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Italo,

Give the folks at Angel Labs,LLC. a call in the US. Though their Mighty Yet Tiny Engine MYT is still in the predevelopment phase I understand it makes an excellent steam engine. One geothermal company in the states is looking at using it for such an application.

see angellabsllc.com/mytengine.htmlTheir en Thoug