Industrial Heat And Due Dilligence

January 27, 2014

Venture Capitalists tell us that they invest in the people involved in a project and not just the project itself. They might combine  hard-nosed analysis with passion for an idea but most of us assume that they will always default to the bottom line before anything else. This is why I find the IH development interesting. It seems inconceivable that anyone coming from a VC background would not perform rigorous due diligence on something like the eCat. Could they really let their passion overrule caution?

I hope it is not the case. I do hope the company brought in independent and qualified personnel to test the eCat beyond Rossi’s control. Any observation regarding IH’s lack of expertise is neither here nor there. It would be trivial – considering the money involved – to hire the right people and with luck they did exactly that. Perhaps our hoped-for independents built the device on behalf of IH (as far as Rossi is concerned his partner built it). Perhaps this is why they do not have any problems with him making such statements on his blog. They have had the best part of nine months after all. If all of this is true and then they still decided to issue the press release, that is quite a strong statement.

Of course we can always turn the equation on its head. If we were to invest in IH, due diligence would force us to look at those involved. As far as I can tell these are good people – exactly the type I admire for their efforts to make a difference. It sometimes feels like we are stuck in a pit surrounded by money-men with no concern for others. But could it go too far the other way? Looking at JT Vaughn’s blog, I fear for the sequence of events that led them to invest. I pray (metaphorically) that the attitude expressed there was not dominant when negotiating with Rossi. Thank goodness people like Vaughn exist but in this case if he relied more on faith than science, I would urge them to think again. Could this be why Rossi keeps using the phrase “whether the results are positive or negative” in reference to current and future tests?

I hope my fear is unfounded but if not and Rossi is ever put on trial, he has prepared an interesting defence for himself. He has Nobel laureates as unwitting exhibits, scientists to the left and right who all agreed with him. He even let experts test it for themselves and cautioned that the results could be negative – he can also afford a good lawyer.

I am rooting for IH but would not invest in the eCat without substantially more proof. I hope they have that proof and make lots of money from making the world a better place. I may not be religious or share their  faith but for once I would like the good-guys to win.

Posted by on January 27, 2014. Filed under Business,Drama,Press/Blogs,Tests & Demos,Uncategorized. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

8,688 Responses to Industrial Heat And Due Dilligence

1. CobaltThoriumG

October 8, 2014 at 10:22 am

Hello.

Can anyone here please help? I’m having difficulty understanding why so many seemingly reasonably intelligent people have allowed themselves to be duped by what can only be described as an abysmal and utterly obvious scam.

Despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary, there are an alarming number of folk willing to suspend all rational thought and blindly follow Mr Ruse into the book of fools.

It is as amusing as it is disconcerting; are many of my fellow countrymen really so easily hoodwinked? What if actors intend harm?

Disquieting times indeed…

• Jami

October 8, 2014 at 12:07 pm

The only “alarming number” here is the number of idiotic pseudo IDs you bother to invent for yourself. If every believer would follow your example and post as, say 10 different characters, you guys could almost found a football club.

2. Frank

October 8, 2014 at 1:04 pm

For the ones who have the time to read yet:

October 8, 2014 at 1:42 pm

Now that the new report is out, I would expect believers to read, digest and fully analyze 30 pages of scientific writing plus appendices in about half an hour and start their frenzy.

October 8, 2014 at 1:52 pm

Wow! It must take real talent to have arxiv refuse to publish! LOL

Assuming this is the “real” report, I see that Rossi was lying about having a “new” set of testers. It’s the same incompetent boobs who wrote the last report.

October 8, 2014 at 1:58 pm

Whatever else one can say, the ecat continues to shrink and simplify. It is now pretty tiny and the whole hydrogen gas thing seems to be out of the picture. Just a little tube that isn’t vacuum-sealed with a couple of electrical connectors. You stick in the powder, turn on the juice (well, at least you have Rossi turn on the juice) and voila.

Well, we will have something to talk about here for the next few weeks. Once we have all digested the contents, it will be interesting to apply freethinker’s checklist of “ifs”. How many of them will have been met? We shall see.

October 8, 2014 at 2:07 pm

And one can only wonder why arXiv wouldn’t post the report. Their own policy states “appearance of a paper is not intended in any way to convey tacit approval of its assumptions, methods, or conclusions.” So I would guess it is a technicality related to license granting or some other silly thing.

Meanwhile, the ECW rumor mill from their anonymous experts promised us that “we’ve never seen so many peer reviewers”. I look forward to hearing from them. Soon.

October 8, 2014 at 2:30 pm

It is a different set of testers, technically. Torbjorn Hartman is not part of the team this time. So alas, the prestigious seven is now the prestigious six.

3. John Milstone

October 8, 2014 at 1:59 pm

I see they are claiming isotopic changes without any detectable radiation.

This is, of course, in direct contradiction to the testing done by Kullander.

The only significant difference I can see is that Rossi now has enough “investment” money to afford to buy some isotopically purified samples with which to “seed” the samples tested here.

4. John Milstone

October 8, 2014 at 2:17 pm

Once again, the “guts” of the E-Cat are “hidden” inside of the electrical heating element, making it impossible to determine how much of the power is being provided by the ordinary resistive heater, and how much (if any) is being added by the E-Cat.

I also see that they are using the same clamp-on ammeter that is blind to the “wiring trick”. They assure us that this time they have used other instruments to insure no extra D/C voltage.

5. John Milstone

October 8, 2014 at 2:22 pm

Quote from the top of page 7:

up, reactor shutdown and powder charge extraction.

So, Rossi was there, and he was the one actually running the gadget and (perhaps more significantly) he was the one who extracted the samples of the powder.

Another couple of Rossi lies.

6. John Milstone

October 8, 2014 at 2:24 pm

I notice that this report seems to avoid showing any details of the power measured on each phase.

This was the major clue of how Rossi was faking the results, and Levi et al. knew this. So, providing less information in that critical area now than they did last time is very suspicious.

7. powerpete

October 8, 2014 at 2:26 pm

After a first skim the main red flag for me (apart from it being the same old testing crew) is that Rossi was there and hands-on, even with the powders:

“The dummy reactor was switched on at 12:20 PM of 24 February 2014 by Andrea Rossi who gradually brought it to the power level requested by us. Rossi later intervened to switch off the dummy, and in the following subsequent operations on the E-Cat: charge insertion, reactor startup, reactor shutdown and powder charge extraction.”

They do add “Throughout the test, no further intervention or interference on his part occurred; moreover, all phases of the test were monitored directly by the collaboration.”

But still…

October 11, 2014 at 5:42 am

If I was rossi you’d be lucky to get me out of the room.

Thing is you can’t expect him to just trust anybody. But if competent people are there monitoring him the chances of foul play drop to the same as if they were all in on it.

Secondly there is still the excess heat. 32 freaking days to check for hidden wires. I like my chances.

Third its not his first test, there have been many and the results are consistent.

I don’t have a problem with skepticism among my other no question believing friends I play the hard skept, but what you can’t do is think that everybody is in on the fraud because the results are extra ordinary.

The other thing you must do is respect the fact that rossi is coming from the business side.

8. John Milstone

October 8, 2014 at 2:45 pm

A couple more comments, then I have to get to real life:

Once again, the E-Cat produced no more power than could easily have been provided by the electrical mains (as I predicted).

And, the report makes a big deal about how they tested for long enough to exclude hidden, internal power sources, but they ignore the fact that it was constantly hooked up to an external source of power sufficient to produce the entire effect (just like all the previous demos).

As several here have pointed out, if the E-Cat really did produce 3 times as much power as provided, and especially since the provided power was in the form of heat, it would have been simple to insulate the E-Cat and have it run self-sustained.

And yet, it only works when a hefty set of resistive heating elements, surrounding and hiding the gadget, are turned on.

October 11, 2014 at 5:31 am

Good is that it?

If it was as simple as you claim then it would have been done but it’s not simple because we haven’t discovered this phenomenon ever. So it’s difficult.

It clearly doesn’t work the way you think it should if it did.

Wrap your brain around that and go get a life.

9. Ecat

October 13, 2014 at 10:52 pm

I remember a few months ago Rossi stated somewhere, that all test process was recorded and even if single leaf falls, it will be recorded. Recently he said no video recording accrued during the test. Can someone find his comment in http://www.journal-of-nuclear-physics.com/ or remember where it was?

10. Mark Pinnell

October 23, 2014 at 11:19 am

I watched every video and article I could find on the e-Cat and finally came across his history (http://freeenergyscams.com/the-e-cat-thermoelectric-scam-of-andrea-rossi-part-5a/). I remembered a video where he didn’t want to discuss his past. That was the first alarm bell right there. I went back and watched (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-8QdVwY98E) and can see how easily he could fool people. Little things don’t add up which make me very suspicious. The Ammeter shows 3.4A. He doesn’t show the voltage we have to take his word at 220V for Italy. It could be 660V. The wiring inside the control box just look like he has thrown a pile in there to look complicated when the real power cable goes in at the back on the bottom and probably goes straight back out to the running e-cat. I suspect it’s just a heater element in the e-Cat. The pump is on a different circuit (the power board runs to a different GPO) and is not included in his calculations. The amount of steam is less than my kettle. We have to take his word that they are going through 7kg of water an hour. I smell a rat. As for his 1MW plant why was there a massive diesel generator running and making it hard for people to hear their own thoughts. Whats it powering? Is it because mains can’t supply what he need to run the 1MW plant? He should be investigated before any other big businesses are sucked in. I think I read he has experience in thermoelectrics which makes me think it would be simple for him to hook up a TEG (http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xteg+module&_nkw=teg+module&_sacat=0) and run it stand alone and really knock the socks off everyone. To many questions and not enough answers. I bet he put in the Cu in the night before the test. I wonder who else is in on it. I’m done with Rossi. I’ll look for LENR elsewhere. I say he’s a snake oil salesman and I’m confident it will eventually be shown he has wasted mine and your time, and hard earned $$$ of the investors if they are real (who knows they may be in on it).

11. Tony2

April 7, 2015 at 8:06 pm

Now we’re back to the good stuff! Bernie asks The Inventor if there is a simple way to show the payback of the device to silence the negative critic. He get this back from AR:

“Andrea Rossi
    April 7th, 2015 at 12:58 PM
    Bernie Koppenhofer:
    Negative advertising is very positive for products that give evidence of the falsity of the negative advertising itself: I call it ” compression”: when you make a negative compression of a product that is positive in itself, you produce the explosion of its diffusion. Snakes are useful. Snakes are precious. If you resist to their attack.
    A.R.”

So, if the whole free energy scam thing doesn’t work out, AR looks to have a very promising marketing career. I defy anyone on this planet to make sense of what Il Douche is saying in this response.

And, Thank God, we’re back to the snakes!

Tony2

12. Tony2

May 7, 2015 at 7:16 pm

In response to being asked if he’s aware of the new Tesla battery, The Dick responds:

“Andrea Rossi
    May 7th, 2015 at 12:52 PM
    Rafal Krych:
    Very interesting as a storage of energy too.
    We are in contact.
    Warm Regards
    A.R.”

Right. Just like NI; UNIBO; NASA; Home Depot; Walmart; and my Aunt Tillie.

Tony2

13. FredZ

June 30, 2015 at 2:53 pm

Today is June 30, 2015, 17 months after this article was published. Could we please have an update on the eCat’s status? The beat goes on.