No eCat Research For University Of Bologna

January 24, 2012

For the last six months, many of us have been waiting in hope for the promised research contract between Andrea Rossi’s company and The University of Bologna to be actioned. The lure of independent tests coupled with the long association with the academic bastion through Professors Focardi and Levi lent a level of credibility to the eCat which appears to have been a mirage.

Confirming the cancellation to Steven Krivit, it seems that AR’s recent announcement of independent research through two unnamed universities will not include that Italian establishment.

At a cost of €500,000, the plan was to have been to sell the 1MW plant and then use some of the proceeds to fund this research. However, when the money did not appear, the University set a date of January as a default deadline to call it a day.

Recently, Rossi told us that they were a well-fuelled warship. If true, poverty cannot be the problem.

It is tempting to assume there was never any intention to pay the money or deliver an eCat for independent testing and I have no doubt that this latest revelation will reinforce the pessimistic views of hard and reasonable sceptics alike. It is certainly not good news, if Krivit’s report is correct.

However, I would caution against assuming doom as much as I would avoid donning rose-tinted glasses and spinning this as good news in disguise. If claims for the eCat are solid, then Rossi is riding a monster. If we suspend disbelief then he has plenty of money and a partner helping him to gear up for a million unit factory. That position is far from the one he talked of only a few weeks ago. Things are moving fast – changing fast. Perhaps his focus is elsewhere. Perhaps he has proven himself to powerful people and perhaps he is taking advice and making new alliances.

Speculation is easy but we are all likely to come up with a mix of wrong answers. I am dissapointed and concerned about the threads beginning to show but in the scheme of things it is simply another itch that Defkalion may or may not be about to scratch. In the spirit of seperating tech from business, we are long past the point where little else matters beyond solid proof. It might make sense for Dr Rossi to play this dance of veils but the same cannot be said of Defkalion. If they deliver, the superposition of truths will collapse to one and if not… the other truth will begin to take shape whether we like it or not.

I remain hopeful but longing for something solid to cling on to.

[With thanks to Camilo]

Posted by on January 24, 2012. Filed under Bologna,Krivit. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

102 Responses to No eCat Research For University Of Bologna

1. spacegoat Reply

January 24, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Didn’t Rossi recently reply in a blog that ecats would be soon delivered to some university or other for “independent tests”? Thus Bologna rotated out. Maybe AR will organize this PDQ now Defkalion made their testing announcement yesterday.

Maybe there is some friction. Did not Celani imply that results on engineering LENR should be made public, in his address notes at the scientific conference a few days ago. … The opposite of Mr Monopoly (Microsoft) Rossi.

2. AB Reply

January 24, 2012 at 1:55 pm

I find this very disappointing and concerning. If confirmed (the source is Krivit after all) I would be inclined to downgrade my confidence rating in Rossi from optimistic to skeptical.

Interestingly the news comes shortly after Defkalion’s independent testing announcement.

• daniel maris Reply

January 24, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Yes I think this weighs in on the sceptical side of the scales, given Focardi’s Bologna connections.

3. StevenB Reply

January 24, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Indeed a disappointing news. Up till now I’ve been quite optimistic, but about a week ago my optimism started wavering. I really don’t know what is in store for Rossi if this all proves to be a joke, a scam? Why is he so adamant, so relentless in his blog, interviews, videos that he has (will have) a working product if indeed he doesn’t. Surely he cannot think that those 50,000 people who supposedly preordered 10kW e-CAT will give him any advance money for a device that hasn’t been independently tested. People are not that stupid.
    Sometimes one have to put himself in a shoes if another to intellectually interpret ones actions. If i were Rossi, what would I do. Would my actions reflect Rossi’s or would I want my technology to be verified as soon as possible….On one hand the cloud of mystery and doubt is good in a sense that big oil and energy companies will use real interest to pursue the matter. Literally millions of jobs depend on before mentioned industry and they will in my opinion do everything that viable LENR technology doesn’t see the light of day. I really hope that e-CAT and other LENR devices work bet my skepticism has just reached a new high!

• John Milstone Reply

January 24, 2012 at 3:24 pm

StevenB said:

I suspect that Rossi is actually interested in finding gullible investors, not customers. The “50,000 people” are just a talking point to justify selling stock or franchises.

Rossi still hasn’t identified an actual customer (even though he promised to do so at the end of November), and I’m not holding my breath for any legitimate customer to show up.

Keep in mind that selling an actual product requires specific performance. If the product doesn’t work as advertised, or if the seller doesn’t deliver the product in the time specified, the customer has definite remedies.

An investor, on the other hand, has no promises of specific performance. The typical investor scammer just keeps promising that the investments will start paying off “real soon now”. It can take many years for the investors to get so disgusted that they will take legal action against the con man.

• Tony Reply

January 24, 2012 at 11:42 pm

JM,

Absolutely. I brought this up a week ago. He already has the investors and he has to keep dragging them along. They are the only ones that AR has to satisfy.

This is a big blow to the whole thing. But Black Light Power has kept going for years now with exactly the same MO. I think that’s the AR template.

I still hope I’m wrong, but the odds in Vegas are now 2:3 against and falling daily.

Tony S.

4. Thicket Reply

January 24, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Another piece of the Rossi puzzle falls off the table.
    There have beem numerous posts about Bologna’s ‘support’ for Rossi and the eCat. In fact, the support was from Levi and Focardi. Believers clung to the hope that Bologna testing would take place at some point.

It was never going to happen. Rossi can’t let the eCat be independently tested by a third party, because he knows it doesn’t work.

His statements about two universities that will be doing eCat testing is just more ‘Rossi says’ garbage.

In my opinion, Rossi continues to string things along, hoping to suck in money from anyone gullible enough to give him some.

• Ransompw Reply

January 24, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Thicket:

I disagree, I think Rossi is stringing this along because he doesn’t have the ability to control or commercialize LENR. He thinks more time will enable him to resolve issues with his process. However, I think he has a LENR reactor and I think Lewan’s second test confirmed it. What he doesn’t have is a commercial product and given that he doesn’t seem to trust anyone, I doubt he ever will. He is not going to achieve a commercial product without deep pocket investment and a lot of engineering hours. That’s my opinion, and of course I acknowledge it may be incorrect.

5. Joe Taylor Reply

January 24, 2012 at 2:53 pm

People shouldn’t be surprised. He said in his blog over a month ago that he is getting all the answers from the help of his first customer and the University was not needed anymore. He solved the problems of stabilization.

6. Harry Perini Reply

January 24, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Does this mean I will not be receiving the Home Ecat I ordered? How disappointing. I must continue to use high priced propane to heat my house.

I think a Saudi oil prince got to Rossi.

7. Harry Perini Reply

January 24, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Andrea Rossi let me down. So I am making a hojomotor for my free energy.

• JNewman Reply

January 24, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Good luck with that!

• Pachu Reply

January 24, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Does Hojo Motor Really Works?
      Yes, it works! Lot of people have been successful to implement these plans to generate free energy.
      Is Hojo Motor A Scam?
      No! It’s not a scam, although you have to buy Hojo Motor plans from official site

Make my day :-D lol

• daniel maris Reply

January 24, 2012 at 10:13 pm

You should go get a patent for your Hojo motor like NASA did with LENR – it’s obviously easy to fool the US Patent Office.

• Dale G. Basgall Reply

January 25, 2012 at 8:43 am

that was simply a patent publication we saw, did you see an issued U.S. patent?

• Ivy Matt Reply

January 25, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Anybody can file a patent application, just as anybody can file a lawsuit. Getting the patent granted (like winning a lawsuit) is the real trick.

8. John Milstone Reply

January 24, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Keep in mind that Rossi lied about this all through 2011. He claimed several times that independent testing at the U. of B. were already occurring.

Focardi and Levi never corrected these lies.

Why would anyone believe Rossi now that he’s making the exact same claims he made last year, which we no know were lies?

• Joe Taylor Reply

January 24, 2012 at 5:33 pm

You are the liar. He never said the tests were already occurring. He said multiple times they are in negotiation. If he doesn’t need UOB anymore then why should he spend the 500Gs. The money could go elsewhere.

9. John Milstone Reply

January 24, 2012 at 3:14 pm

I also wonder whatever happened to Kullander’s promise to deliver a “detailed isotopic analysis” of the fuel and ash from Rossi’s E-Cat.

Late in November, Kullander stated that it would be ready “in time for Christmas” (4 weeks after his announcement). It’s now been 8 weeks, and still no signs of the report.

This report would be critical evidence (as opposed to unsubstantiated statements in a blog) of whether the E-Cat was actually doing any sort of LENR reaction.

• Pekka Janhunen Reply

January 24, 2012 at 3:28 pm

I don’t know but at least the right address to ask about it would be Kullander (rather than Rossi, I mean).

10. buffalo Reply

January 24, 2012 at 3:19 pm

no no people.mr rossi doesnt need any university.what for? He doesnt even need to prove anything to anybody.what he does need to do is begin mass production asap.he has no time 4 anything else..unless somebody pays him 30milion bux to abandon ship..mm

11. C M Edwards Reply

January 24, 2012 at 3:34 pm

I accept that Rossi has no control over the decisions of university directors, and the services of the University of Bologna can be replaced.

Independent confirmation cannot be replaced. Someone reliable has to confirm Rossi’s claim that this will work outside his lab. Otherwise, his dream of 1000000 sales per year will never happen. Without it, he’ll be lucky if his first customer isn’t his last.

DGT is posturing like they are prepared to move on this issue. They need to.

The first one to the cover of Consumer Reports wins.

12. andreiko Reply

January 24, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Buffalo begrijpt het.

13. Pekka Janhunen Reply

January 24, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Rossi has said already since November that any university work to be performed would in any case run in secret mode for (was it) 1-2 years and at the end they might possibly publish some kind of report. In this sense the hope of getting some independent official university evaluation during 2012 by this route was already zero before today’s new info.
    In October Rossi spoke about Uppsala and Bologna. With Bologna out and Uppsala possibly still in, if two contracts are now active then some third university must have entered the play, perhaps MIT (since Rossi visited there).
    However the Defkalion test train is now in unstoppable and fast motion (it can only crash or succeed). That one is more likely than Rossi at the moment to first deliver some credible test results. Unless Rossi makes some new moves before that…

14. buffalo Reply

January 24, 2012 at 3:42 pm

@cm edwards.npe,the first one to mass produce wins.its just the underground alt energy community that wants to strangle rossi for not pandering to their demands for ‘evidence’.the masses dont even know of lenr,s existance yet,its just us guys here

15. buffalo Reply

January 24, 2012 at 3:46 pm

im sharp andreiko

16. LCD Reply

January 24, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Look he said in March the 1mw plants will be completed for a customer that doesn’t care to be anonymous. If that fails to happen then you can assume he has no viable reactor at this time.
    This university research business never made sense because it represents a giant IP leak that you can’t plug, look what allegedly happened with defkalion.

That said I wouldn’t hold my breath with Rossi. Move onto Defkalion, Celani,piantelli,Miley, ahern,etc.

• John Milstone Reply

January 24, 2012 at 4:02 pm

He also said on November 28th that he had a second customer who would go public. LINK

We’re still waiting.

• Joe Taylor Reply

January 24, 2012 at 5:36 pm

That won’t happen until the 1MW plant for the first customer is ready. It is still being reworked and improved.

17. buffalo Reply

January 24, 2012 at 3:58 pm

@LCD…this one said,that one said,he said,she said..the first one to mass produce,,wins

• LCD Reply

January 24, 2012 at 4:07 pm

I would agree with you without taking away from what I said

18. Pachu Reply

January 24, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Rossi stated first that UniBo was going to do a research of the physics that makes e-cat work, not just independent test, but later he start to ensure in his blog that he already knows very well how the e-cat process works inside and that no additional research was needed, i realise with that comments that he has no intention of continue the contract with UniBo, was last year comments…

19. Francesco CH Reply

January 24, 2012 at 4:09 pm

It is better to wait official statements from the University of Bologna, because there is no official statements up to now.

• Al Potenza Reply

January 24, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Krivit’s contact seems genuine and official. You may not trust Krivit but if he lied about it, the University would have issued a denial.

20. Sojourner Soo Reply

January 24, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Why waste half a million Euros? Rossi has DI and Fiavoranti and UL, all of whom are doing research on the E-Cat. Then there are the Swedes at ecat.com. None of us really knows what’s happening in the background. Just try to figure out where the puck is going to be in the future. It all makes perfect business sense, although I gather the scientists in you all want scientific confirmation, a paper in a peer reviewed journal confirming the E-Cat and LENR, a theory, etc., despite all your criticisms of mainstream science, where LENR and cold fusion is concerned.

A university could provide a working theory after years and years of careful research, but Rossi claims he already has a theory, which he’s discussed elsewhere. So, the UNIBO thing, it seems, was not important to Rossi. If I had to guess, I’d say he’s no longer interested in legitimizing his discovery at a university, does not have the time to waste, does not agree with the demand to appease people with “independent testing,” and does not feel he needs to. He’s long beyond that point. I’d do the same thing, quite frankly, were I Rossi. Let DGT “prove” it. It works out to the same thing, in the end. Keep your eyes on the puck! :)

• John Milstone Reply

January 24, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Why waste half a million Euros?

A much better question is why Rossi lied about this relationship throughout 2011?

All last year, right up to his October 28th dog & pony show, Rossi claimed that the University of Bologna (and at least one time, the University of Uppsala) was already actively doing independent testing of the E-Cat.

Then, when it was time for him to “put up or shut up”, he suddenly changed his mind, and claimed that he would do no public testing (which was always a prerequisite with Uppsala, and I believe also with Bologna).

Then, just last week, in the web interview with Sterling Allan, Rossi suggested that he was now ready to do some University testing.

I suspect that the U. of B. released this information now to prevent Rossi from, yet again, borrowing credibility from them based on lies.

• Sojourner Soo Reply

January 24, 2012 at 5:35 pm

So, you think Focardi is a liar, too? And Levi? Get a grip. Things have changed, and continue to change on an almost daily basis. That’s the reality of this new technology. Rossi just doesn’t have the time to waste. Which would you rather have? UNIBO taking two years to do “research” on top of that already done by Focardi, thereby giving the competition more time? Or a commercial E-Cat on store shelves?

• John Milstone Reply

January 24, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Whether or not they are liars, they failed to correct the many statements by Rossi that he was actively working with their employer, the University of Bologna.

I suspect that is because they haven’t been paying much attention to what Rossi is saying on his blog. But it still shows that they are not doing an active job of correcting Rossi’s false statements, even when those statements involve them and their employer.

• Neil Taylor Reply

January 24, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Yes, I think you are correct Sojourner. He has limited money resources and needs to invest in the production of one million E-Cat factory. If dropping expensive long term research in favor of getting devices into the market place, then he likely made a correct business decision…

• Joe Taylor Reply

January 24, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Show a link where he said that John.

• John Milstone Reply

January 24, 2012 at 5:51 pm

January 21, 2011, Rossi says, “We made an important test with the University of
          Bologna, with whom we are going to make a 1 year research program also.”
          (http://www.journal-of-nuclear-physics.com/?p=360&cpage=5#comment-20077)

March 3, 2011, Rossi says, “We are now making a R&D work with the University of
          Bologna.”
          (http://www.journal-of-nuclear-physics.com/?p=360&cpage=10#comment-26136)

June 18, 2011, Rossi says, “In these days, together with the University of
          Bologna and with my Customers, we have made tests measuring not only dry steam,
          but also with really , really, REALLY high performances: they know, I know, we
          know. That’s
          enough.” (http://www.journal-of-nuclear-physics.com/?p=360&cpage=21#comment-47001)

November 5, 2011, the University of Bologna releases a press release that
          specifically denies any involvement with any test conducted by Rossi.
          (http://www.magazine.unibo.it/Magazine/Notizie/2011/11/05/Lecat_lUnivesita_di_Bologna_non_e_coinvolta.htm)

December 1, 2011, Dario Braga, the director of scientific research at the
          University of Bologna, states that the deadline for the contract with Rossi is
          “mid-January” and that an extension was unlikely.
          (http://blog.newenergytimes.com/2011/12/01/university-of-bologna-clarifies-relationship-with-rossi/)

• Pekka Janhunen

January 24, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Googling “rossi radiation measurement” anyway shows at least two PDF papers at lenr-canr.org by Mauro Villa, Bologna University. Thus the later denial by UoB cannot mean that nothing was ever done with them, but probably concerns the specific 500 keur contract under negotiation at the day of asking.

• Joe Taylor

January 24, 2012 at 6:55 pm

You are mistaken. None of these references implies an agreement has been made and work started. The one that is closest is the second quote. If you read the entire passage from Rossi he uses present and future tense. That is a weakness he has with his English. Also, he used the word “work” many times before to indicate a future contract agreement to work on the ecat. Again his English should be taken into consideration.

He has made many comments that the agreement has not been finalized. Now it won’t happen. He has the right to that decision. It is his money. He mentioned a month ago he doesn’t need them anymore because he got good answers from the first customer and NI.

January 24, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Joe Taylor said:

If you read the entire passage from Rossi he uses present and future tense.

The first and third quotes are in the past tense (“we made”). The second quote is present tense (“we are now making”).

That’s quite a stretch to blame all of his quotes on his limited understanding of English.

There’s also the fact that Rossi’s associates made numerous references to the tests already going on, and even stating that Rossi sold his house to raise the money to go forward with these tests.

I realize that holding Rossi to the statements made by his associates may be unfair, but I also realize that one of the best ways to lie is to have someone else do it for you.

January 24, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Pekka Janhunen said:

It’s an interesting paper, but it doesn’t in any way indicate that the University of Bologna was involved with the testing.

If someone writes a paper about how the Titanic sunk, that doesn’t imply that they had anything to do with the Titanic sinking.

The exact quote from UniBo is (Google translated):

no experiment concerning E-Cat was held at the University of Bologna or October 28, 2011, or earlier dates, nor was conducted by researchers at the University

That’s very definitive.

• daniel maris

January 25, 2012 at 12:46 am

Was Focardi not a prof at Bologna with access to lab space? Are you saying no tests of e cat prototypes were undertaken there?

What is a university if not its professors and teaching staff? I think there is a confusion here between Focardi and Bologna as a corporation.

• Sojourner Soo Reply

January 24, 2012 at 6:08 pm

I thought that this is the Smart Scarecrow interview alluded to by John:

“S. Jumping to another subject, the testing at the University of Bologna and Uppsala University, that was going to take two years, is that under way, or what is the status of that?

A. It is, we are working on it. We are working on it. And it is very close to be started. In this period, we had a tremendous amount of work to do. And for all we have done. And I needed time for that activity. And in any case, in February, we will start the work.”

***Deadlines and tight time schedules always conflict. Maybe UNIBO should have been more flexible, instead of issuing ultimatums?

January 24, 2012 at 6:23 pm

No, I wasn’t thinking of the recent interview. I posted (just above your post) a list of the quotes from Rossi throughout 2011 that he was already working with UniBo.

Rossi could have exercised that contract any time last year, but he chose not to do so. But he did claim, over and over, that he had already done so.

Now, after letting the contract expire, he’s suddenly claiming to be interested in doing the tests again.

If he really wanted them to do the testing, he would have allowed them to do the testing. But that’s not what he wants. He wants to be able to claim that he’s working with them without actually working with them.

• Sojourner Soo

January 24, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Isn’t Focardi still a private consultant to Rossi? Given that Rossi went public in an E-Cat demo, against his better judgement and as a personal favour to Focardi, who made the request, I rather doubt Focardi, who will be in line for a Nobel prize, is going to walk away now.

• Haldor Reply

January 24, 2012 at 5:28 pm

@Soo

Yup, I agree with you.

One addition only, Rossi several times mentioned that his revolution needs to become/remain popular.
      So far he did this only by lowering the price drasticly, I am afraid he has to do much better than a lower price to convince +50K customers to buy his E-Cat!
      A bit odd that the DGT independent test announcement is directly followed by UniBo cancellation. Now DGT will take the heat.

• Dale G. Basgall Reply

January 25, 2012 at 9:28 am

Reply to Soo, regarding statement;”A university could provide a working theory after years and years of careful research, but Rossi claims he already has a theory”, and just what we need another theory.

Why aren”t solutions being brought forward, today we need answers of fact and not another theory that people can’t prove wrong. Insane that one, so we latch onto theories in science?

I probably could repair my tractor transmission with a theory after disassembling it. Meaning I had something for years that I used and it worked perfectly until it didn’t. Then I read the theory of how the parts were made and what it is supposed to do and so on. Where does theory cross with details?

Only after complete disassembly of the transmission could I apply a working knowledge of the theory I had just read about. We need facts and formulas to go forward and make this a more efficient process not another theory.

It’s just the thing that how can you guess yourself forward on this new technology emerging? The LENR when nothing is really working yet. There is obviously something novel happening and why can’t this be figured out, the question should be “why isn’t this figured out?

To the moon, other planets, miracle machines and so on, but we can’t explain this LENR and go forward using it right now.

It doesn’t seem on the outside to be that complicated, and by the claims of people claiming to be duplicating the process they also claim it is not that difficult to observe thermal energy from the reactions.

What doesn’t fit is nothing tangible in the last year but hot air has emerged, from the two companies claiming a result from moving forward. I would just hope there are people out there making progress in this technology because there would be all kinds of gismos and useful items to make that could be powered by the LENR reactors.

Has either company recently claimed what metal the reactor cores are made of in the newly designed products they claim to have and being tested? Surely they would know that if the products are being tested, right! Well why is just a simple answer so difficult, surely they don’t claim that to be a trade secret, ya think.

21. Dr Jerry G Reply

January 24, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Dr Rossi does not have to prove anything to anyone any longer he needs to prove nothing, they/we need to PAY HIM for his invention lets get this clear, he has already had all the experts out to his labs and they all seen the e-cats in action now they want the formula to get the Nobel Peace Prize for themselves How Selfish is that? Dr Rossi will have none of it, he is taking his product DIRECTLY to the consumer he has already made that perfectly clear.

• LCD Reply

January 24, 2012 at 10:26 pm

I find that strange coming from a Doctor. He would eventually need to prove it works to the customer.

22. Ben Reply

January 24, 2012 at 4:16 pm

This development does not surprise me in the least. I fully expected this after Rossi went to Massachusetts and met with state officials there as well as representatives from MIT and other state universities. If you were Rossi and were looking for a U.S. patent, who would you rather deal with, the University of Bologna or the Massachusetts Institute of Technology? That is not to belittle the esteemed Italian university, I’m just saying. MIT owes the world something after their shameful behavior RE Pons and Fleishmann.

Of course, any relationship between Rossi and MIT or any U.S. university is simply speculation but I think it is a possibility that needs to be considered if one looks at the big picture, including his plans to commercialize in the U.S. AND obtain a U.S. patent. And no, I would not necessarily expect MIT to make a public announcement about this even if it were true, so don’t expect one.

• Mahron - A4 B3 Reply

January 24, 2012 at 10:21 pm

I was also under the impression it would be done with MIT, or at least some US university or lab. Would make sense now that he lives in the US.

23. Jerry G Reply

January 24, 2012 at 4:16 pm

24. Al Potenza Reply

January 24, 2012 at 4:17 pm

This is sad. And I am at a loss to understand why, according to the now discarded plan, testing a simple ecat for power output would cost $500,000 and take two years. That doesn’t seem right either.

25. Paul C Reply

January 24, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Rossi has new partners now .. one is called NASA people that he is not in competition with, if you recall he has already had MAJOR LEAKS from Bologna U.

• Al Potenza Reply

January 24, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Can you say how you know that NASA is involved with Mr. Rossi? I would love for NASA to be working with Mr. Rossi but I have not heard anything conclusive about this yet. Where is that information from please?

And what leaks from UNIBO did you mean that were detrimental to Mr. Rossi’s work?

• Tony Reply

January 24, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Yep, “Giorgio” who posts regularly on the Polywell forums has contacts there. It’s as leaky as a sieve.

26. jan Reply

January 24, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Hallo youngs
    Thinks! Delivery the research within technology improvements with National Instruments to universities is foolish. Mr.Rossi must be bias to own work.My judgement
    is:Rapidly technology impovement and start production.
    By the way competition NOT sleep!!!!!!!

27. You humble servant Reply

January 24, 2012 at 5:56 pm

I don’t conclude anything out of this at all other than there were going to be tests at the University of Bologna and now there aren’t. This could be for any of a number of reasons. Don’t attach too much, if any, importance to it.

28. Francesco CH Reply

January 24, 2012 at 6:09 pm

OK, LISTEN C A R E F U L L Y :

KRIVIT IS TELLING BULLS**TS, I KNOW FOR SURE.

I REPEAT: I KNOW FOR SURE

• Tony Reply

January 24, 2012 at 6:23 pm

And how do you know?

• Ivan Mohorovicic Reply

January 24, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Ditto.

• Tony Reply

January 24, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Actually, Daniele’s comments on 22passi imply that Krivit is talking rubbish. So I guess we’ll have to keep on waiting.

• Sojourner Soo Reply

January 24, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Krivit is always talking rubbish aka bullshit. The man has no scientific or journalism credentials whatever. Why anybody pays him ANY attention is beyond my comprehension.

• Barney Reply

January 25, 2012 at 9:49 am

It may be Krivit’s news are rubbish, it may not.
          But there is a Professor Braga DIRECT answer to a DIRECT question:

“I can confirm that to the best of my knowledge the contract between the dept of physics and the EFA company has been cancelled because unfulfilled at the agreed deadline and that there is no further relationship between the company and the university based on that contract.
          Regards
          Dario Braga

Professor Dario Braga University of Bologna”

You can find the email at Mr. Passerini’s blog, as a comment to this post: http://22passi.blogspot.com/2012/01/il-lustro-di-22-passi-episodio-20366.html

Prof. Braga is one of the responsibles for research policies at the Bologna University, and it seems to me he ought to know the issue quite better than Mr. Krivit OR Mr. Passerini. Isn’t? :-)

Cheers,

Barney

• Pachu Reply

January 24, 2012 at 9:27 pm

This words and writing, looks familiar… where i have seen it….

29. Tom Krieg Reply

January 24, 2012 at 7:48 pm

It does not matter if Krivit is right or wrong. Rossi maybe using Universities in the US. You just don’t know and it doesn’t matter.

This may be like a rocket launch and we may be seeing some “in-flight” corrections. Such is the start-up environment. It is a healthy part of the process and may result in a positive manifestation. You just don’t know without being there.

This “hand ringing” is just noise in the process. Be patient.

30. Harry Perini Reply

January 24, 2012 at 7:53 pm

This is what a Nobel prize winner in physics thinks of Krivit:

• JNewman Reply

January 24, 2012 at 9:18 pm

I know nothing whatsoever about Krivit and am certainly not vouching for him, but i am quite familiar with your Nobel laureate. After some brilliant work in the early 1960s, he eventually found his way to endless television appearances with the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi ranting about the “structure of consciousness”. Just sayin’.

• Iggy Dalrymple Reply

January 24, 2012 at 10:27 pm

And SRI worked on remote viewing for years.

• spacegoat Reply

January 25, 2012 at 3:46 am

“structure of consciousness”

More pathoskepticism JNewman?
        Not healthy.

Consciousness is no more or less provable as a concept than matter. Yes, of course we have our magnifiers of perception, our machines to measure matter. But scientific consciousness experiments are equally possible. If 100 or thousands of brains perceive in the same repeatable way under the same conditions, than that is perfectly acceptable scientific evidence. Objections simply because it is not transmitted to your brain by a machine (microscope, sensor, etc) are silly.

Indirect evidence on consciousnesses can come from looking at a persons metabolism, brain, spinal fluid. Institute for Consciousness Research:www.icrcanada.org. There are other high profile scientists linked to this “pathetic” subject: Max Plank Institute:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Friedrich_von_Weizs%C3%A4cker

I have appreciated your interventions on each occasion a non-mainstream subject has arisen. They illustrate just how blinded and dogmatic the population has become.

• Jerry H Reply

January 24, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Steven B. Krivit – from New Energy Times, has shown
      total disrespect for Rossi, Mr Krivit has seen so much failure that he has lost sight of anything positive “he is a habitual skeptic” at this point he should resign from New Energy Times, or be removed and let new blood into the progressive future of LENR.

31. Tony Reply

January 24, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Monitor this for press releases:

There aren’t any saying the contract is terminated.

32. Mahron - A4 B3 Reply

January 24, 2012 at 10:33 pm

State of the Union for you guys in 3 hours. He will most probably endorse LENR and rossi. LOL. That would make him go up in the polls.

• Mahron - A4 B3 Reply

January 25, 2012 at 7:23 am

No LENR. But more offshore drilling, hip hip houray!

33. charles Reply

January 24, 2012 at 11:27 pm

Rossi and many others all the way back to Tesla who raise the specter of Change to Big Entrenched Control are crushed, by whatever means are available.

Tesla sold his patents to JP Morgan under the spell of “partnership” and went back to the drawing board when Morgan shelved Tesla’s ideas in favor of more lucrative Centralized Control Money Making Schemes such as Edison was involved in.

The list is long of inventors and explorers bypassed in favor of Making Money. Rossi joins the ranks of Tesla, Joseph Newman, Howard Johnson (not the restaurant guy) Ismael Avino of the Phillipines, a fellow named Bedini, the Ev Gray motor, Muammer Yildiz of Turkey, memory fails me but the list is very long.

I am not surprised to find all sorts of backtracking by everyone all of a sudden, it’s a very old pattern.

John Millstone and Mary Yugo (Where have you gone, Mary? Are you and John one and the same, or different beasties on the same payroll?)have a lot in common, it seems. Lots of posts. Completely skeptical. I notice they similarly seem to have lots and lots of time to sit and post here and elsewhere.

It doesn’t take much to make the stretch that the threat to the Big Boys is countered in all sorts of ways, including hiring an army of naysayers to post on sites all over the world. it’s a little appalling to think that I could have a job posting on hundreds of sites, if only I could trash my scruples about a cleaner, safer, more sustainable world for those that follow.

I am unable to trash my scruples. And I sorely pity those that might be forced to sell their souls to carry on so.

May Peace and Sanity bring us to a better place.

Thank you.

• Timar Reply

January 25, 2012 at 12:31 am

I understand your feeling but I don’t think the kind of paranoia you convey is getting us anywhere but into the loony bin. Of course there is opposition – out of a variety of reasons and interests. It’s a gross oversimplification of this complex reality to subsume that all under a great conspiracy.

• spacegoat Reply

January 25, 2012 at 3:53 am

@Timar
        Wake up. 147 companies control 80% of world commerce. Google ecatnews for “Newscientist” for the link.
        Have you never been invited to join the Freemasons that control almost all corporations? Maybe your University was not worth recruiting from.

• Peter Roe Reply

January 25, 2012 at 8:09 am

A little light reading for Timar and any others who believe that we live in a free world: http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=25302. If you have a little time, follow some of the other links on the site as well. Very interesting stuff.

34. Thicket Reply

January 25, 2012 at 12:49 am

Charles

Wow. Johnson, Bedini, Avino and Yildez. You’ve named a number of the greatest pseudoscience nutjobs and fraudsters.

35. James Goldman Reply

January 25, 2012 at 9:06 am

On Daniele Passerini’s blog (22passi), he seems to imply that Krivit is wrong with his report and that he should wait for an official statement from UoB.

36. Joe Shea Reply

January 25, 2012 at 9:46 am

I’d be more impressed if you could quote someone from the University to back up your statements. That is a basic element of good journalism that is missing here. Overall, the page appears to have gone from one supporting Rossi to one that in various ways intimates he and his eCat are a fraud.

37. Sojourner Soo Reply

January 25, 2012 at 9:48 am

Obama’s discussion of clean energy in his State of the Union address: “Our experience with shale gas shows us that the payoffs on these public investments don’t always come right away. Some technologies don’t pan out; some companies fail. But I will not walk away from the promise of clean energy. I will not walk away from workers like Bryan. I will not cede the wind or solar or battery industry to China or Germany because we refuse to make the same commitment here. We have subsidized oil companies for a century. That’s long enough. It’s time to end the taxpayer giveaways to an industry that’s rarely been more profitable, and double-down on a clean energy industry that’s never been more promising. Pass clean energy tax credits and create these jobs.

We can also spur energy innovation with new incentives. The differences in this chamber may be too deep right now to pass a comprehensive plan to fight climate change. But there’s no reason why Congress shouldn’t at least set a clean energy standard that creates a market for innovation. So far, you haven’t acted. Well tonight, I will. I’m directing my Administration to allow the development of clean energy on enough public land to power three million homes. And I’m proud to announce that the Department of Defense, the world’s largest consumer of energy, will make one of the largest commitments to clean energy in history – with the Navy purchasing enough capacity to power a quarter of a million homes a year.”

38. Dale G. Basgall Reply

January 25, 2012 at 10:03 am

Reply to Thicket, regarding Johnson; here are some of his words.

Today when energy is so expensive, it is not hard to drum up interest for most any avenue that offers a breath of hope or a way of escape, but this was not necessarily so in 1942. We were somewhat satisfied and convinced that we had the main sources of energy in view. So it took a pure act of faith to try to develop a new un-named source.

It took faith to spend time on it. It took faith to spend money on it. And it took faith to consider facing the opposition later when I made my work known and faced all the status quo people. So, in 1942 using the Bohr model of the atom, and knowing that unpaired electron spins created a permanent magnet dipole, I kept wondering why we couldn’t use these fields to drive something. I was sure that the magnetic effect of the spins was similar enough to the field of a current in a wire to do the same thing. I had no knowledge of electron spins stopping and knew no method that I could exert to stop them, so I decided to try to work out a method to use them.

Having a chemical background, I thought it would be nice to use the best magnetic materials I could find in combination with an interstitial material that was highly diamagnetic to force the electron spin to stay in place.

Is Johnson a bona fide researcher, or merely a “garage mechanic” mad inventor? As the following brief summary suggests, the inventor’s credentials appear to be impeccable. Following seven years of college and university training, Johnson worked on atomic energy projects at Oak Ridge, did magnetics research for Burroughs company, and served as scientific consultant to Lukens Steel. He has participated in the development of medical electrical products, including injection devices.

Doesn’t appear Johnson fits in your comments Thicket.

• Thicket Reply

January 25, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Dale

Howard Johnson promoted a perpetual motion machine, specifically a magnetic motor. He was a pioneer in magnetic motor junk science. Mylow and Steorn followed in his footsteps with their own magnetic motors.

The search for perpetual motion machines has been going on for centuries. None have ever been successful.

I don’t know whether Johnson was a loony or a fraudster. I do know that his claims were garbage.

• JNewman Reply

January 25, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Apparently one doesn’t just buy the e-cat, one goes for the combination plate complete with perpetual motion machines, UFOs and international conspiracies to throttle the Truth. In for a penny, in for a pound as they say.

39. Timar Reply

January 25, 2012 at 10:08 am

That’s an encouraging speech by Obama. He seems to have understood the situation very well and has the guts to defy big oil – the polar opposite to Bush and most of his oligarch republican fellows who are directly involved with that dirty business.

“…with the Navy purchasing enough capacity to power a quarter of a million homes a year.”

Well, surely he doesn’t refer to the 13 1MW plants, those would only account for ~ 1500 homes ;)

• Sojourner Soo Reply

January 25, 2012 at 12:00 pm

I think Obama’s plan re: DOD and the US Navy is to be found in this report: http://www.cna.org/sites/default/files/research/WEB%2007%2027%2010%20MAB%20Powering%20America%27s%20Economy.pdf

“Recommendation 3: The Department of Defense should partner with private sector innovators and establish an Operational Energy Innovation Center. In pursuing its most urgent energy vulnerabilities,
      DOD should take steps to ensure that it receives input from all innovators, including those in the smallest companies. However, information and communication barriers, largely related to the size disparity of the organizations, impede such collaboration. One potential avenue to connect DOD to innovators is through technology incubators, which provide the expertise needed to get small innovators firmly established. By cultivating a partnership, DOD could provide the testing data and initial market necessary to commercialize new clean energy technologies. Furthermore, to address its most urgent energy concerns, DOD could combine the innovators from nascent businesses with researchers from larger private firms, universities, and national laboratories in an Operational Energy Innovation Center, modeled on DOE’s Innovation Hubs. The Center could be funded through a competitive Operational Energy Innovation Fund. DOD is uniquely positioned to spur clean energy innovation. In pursuing its most urgent energy vulnerabilities, DOD should take steps to ensure that it receives input from all innovators, including those in the smallest companies.” (page ix from above report)

*** It all seems to fit, anyway.

• Jos Reply

January 25, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Notice, the CNA report is
        APPROVED FOR DISTRIBUTION: July 2010

• Peter Roe Reply

January 25, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Obama promised a lot in similar vein before the last election – he knows exactly which buttons to push. But what has he actually delivered in the last four years? Continued interment without trial, the NDAA, business as usual in the Fed and Wall St, expansion of the TSA, drone flights over the US mainland – and now the preparations for a very stupid war on Iran. I suspect that this, and the similar stuff he is saying about financial inequality and the need to pull back from foreign wars, is little more than a cynical attempt to echo the ‘occupy’ protesters in order to get re-elected. He doesn’t mean a word of it. About the best that can be said of Obama is that he is not Gingrich or Romney.

• Timar Reply

January 25, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Agreed. Although I’ve often been under the impression that he has indeed the right ideas but unfortunately not the power to pursue them the way he would like to do.

40. Franco Reply

January 25, 2012 at 11:44 am

Ufficial news:
    Contract between Rossi and UniBo ended.

UniBo said …

“However, the Department of Physics has made available its experience and its equipment to carry out independent measurements on the production of heat by the equipment’s E-Cat in order to provide an answer to the entire scientific community and to public about the phenomenon. The measurement results will be published. ”

But…
    Rossi will give an E-Cat to be measured?
    When?
    Allow publication of all results?

• Peter Roe Reply

January 25, 2012 at 12:38 pm

It sounds almost as if they have already done some initial testing, and will publish the results. After all, the purpose of the contract was supposedly to conduct experiments and come up with a sound theory for LENR – presumably they might have wished to establish that there was something there worth investigating first? Or is that just reading too much into less than perfect English?

41. timycelyn Reply

January 25, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Just updated over at E-Cat world:
    “UPDATE: The following statement from Rossi was forwarded to me by PESN: “DEAR HANK: PLEASE PUBLISH EVERYWHERE YOU CAN: THE STATEMENT OF KRIVIT IS TOTALLY FALSE!!!”

42. Franco Reply

January 25, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Complete translation:

E-CAT: STATEMENT from THE DEPARTMENT OF PHYSICS OF THE UNIVERSITY OF BOLOGNA

Bologna, 25th January 2012
    The Department of Physics of the University of Bologna states that the contract signed in June 2011 between the Department of Physics and EFA srl (Andrea Rossi’s Italian company) has been cancelled because unfulfilled at the agreed deadline.

There is no further relationship between the Department and EFA srl based on that contract.

However, the Department of Physics has made available its expertise and equipments to carry out autonomous measurements of the heat generated by the equipment called E-Cat to provide a scientific answer to the phenomenon for the benefit of the whole scientific community and the public opinion. The results will be published.

• Pekka Janhunen Reply

January 25, 2012 at 12:36 pm

In other words, the long and expensive (1-2 years? 500 keur?) contract (whose purpose was not only to verify that E-cat produces heat but also to understand the process better and thus contribute to Leonardo’s R&D work) was cancelled. The latter paragraph of the statement is still a bit ambiguous: does it mean that (1) UoB has already measured the E-cat and we are waiting for the report or (2) they have offered that kind of service to Rossi (on the condition that UoB must have the permission to publish the results) who has the option to accept it or not.

• Peter Roe Reply

January 25, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Franco,

The wording of the UniBo statement is a little ambiguous. Both myself and Pekka Janhunen thought it might mean tests have already been done, and Pekka adds another possibility – that they stand ready to do some tests if asked.

Are you in a position to ask them which they meant?

43. Franco Reply

January 25, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Reading the Italian version of press note, I understand that no tests has been already done (up to now) by UniBo.
    UniBo is available to do these tests if, obviously, Rossi will allow.

Other rumors…

Mats Lewan (NyTeknik)
    “Rossi also told me that the work of the University of Bologna has already started with meetings together with National Instruments to prepare the whole system analysis.”

44. Pekka Janhunen Reply

January 25, 2012 at 1:05 pm

From Defkalion site:

How about letting the observer supply the UPS? You can even specify the make and model.

Defkalion GT: This is OK with us, as well as all the rest of the measurement instrumentation. All such issues will be discussed and agreed with named people representing their organizations attending for this series of tests.