Andrea Rossi Talks eCat To Mass State House – UPDATED

November 22, 2011

UPDATED – See Sen Tarr’s statement at end of post.

People in power are beginning to sit up and take notice:

EDITOR’S NOTE: According to Sen. Bruce Tarr, Andrea Rossi, “the Italian scientist who claims to have developed the world’s first nuclear cold fusion reactor is coming to the State House tomorrow to explore the prospects of developing the device and producing it in Massachusetts.”   Tarr’s office says Rossi plans to visit Tuesday morning for two days of meeting with government officials and representatives of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, the University Massachusetts and Northeastern University.  “Mr. Rossi’s reactor, if successfully proven and developed, has the potential to change the way the world deals with energy,” Tarr said in a statement

Good for Rossi. We cannot jump to conclusions – this seems to be no more than a discussion or brief, perhaps primed by the promise of jobs. However, considering cold fusion’s reputation, it is significant to learn that the door is open; the subject taken seriously. You have to admire Rossi. I suspect that this is yet another example of the human dynamo pushing on door after door until they open. Some doors are technical, others business and political. Keeping things in perspective, we should also remember that Defkalion had an official presence at their press conference in the form of a business minister. Little steps or giant leaps, it’s all forward motion.

This follows news that the UK’s Dept of Energy and Climate Change is keeping a watching brief on the eCat. Following an enquiry by Craig from Free Energy Truth, DECC replied thus:

DECC is aware of this alleged power source: the DECC CSA, David MacKay FRS, has read some of the literature and has met Sven Kulander, who has reviewed an experiment and whose report is on the Defkalion website. The CSA’s judgment is that it is appropriate for DECC to maintain a watch on this sector, with the key trigger for further action being the publication of the work in a reputable peer-refereed journal, including full details so that academic scientists can replicate the results.”

Yours sincerely,
Sandra Bembridge
DECC Correspondence Unit
This is a safe reply but, given the meeting with Sven Kullander, is yet more evidence that Rossi is no longer invisible to those who pull the levers.

[With thanks to Daniel Passerini via Renzo]

UPDATE:

From Sen. Tarr’s page (http://www.tarrtalk.com/2011/11/cold-fusion-inventor-comes-to-boston.html)

Andrea Rossi, an engineer who has captured the attention of the scientific world with two successful tests of his “E-Cat” cold fusion reactor, arrived at the State House on Tuesday morning for two days of meetings with government officials and representatives of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, the University of Massachusetts and Northeastern University.

Mr. Rossi’s reactor, if successfully proven and developed, has the potential to change the way the world deals with energy, and I’m pleased that he’s willing to discuss basing its production in Massachusetts. Rossi began his schedule in the state this morning and it will conclude later in the evening.

Rossi’s E-Cat reactor, which has thus far been developed and tested in the Italian city of Bologna, is intended to produce large amounts of energy from a reaction between nickel and hydrogen. The reaction produces heat which then heats water to produce steam, from which electricity can be generated. Importantly, the process creates little to no radiation, a major problem for the nuclear fission process currently used to produce power in reactors around the world.

The enormous potential of this technology demands that it be addressed by the best scientific minds in the world. Since Massachusetts is the home of some of the best colleges and universities in the world, it makes sense for that process to happen here.

Our institutions of higher learning have been tremendous in their response to this opportunity, and I look forward to working with them.

[With thanks to Eric Woudenberg for pointing to the above]

Posted by on November 22, 2011. Filed under Politics,Rossi. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

113 Responses to Andrea Rossi Talks eCat To Mass State House – UPDATED

1. Bradley Beeson

November 22, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Hmmm, looks like Tarr is the Minority Leader of four Republican State Senators in a state with 40 total representatives. Interesting that it would be a “conservative” taking the lead on this in such a liberal area.

• Tony

November 22, 2011 at 10:19 pm

Not interesting at all. The libs love this stuff and will be lining up to part with their money This guy just wants to get re-elected and (considering his stupidity in this matter) I hope he isn’t.

You won’t see pictures of the factories.

There will be no independent test.

There is no confirmation anywhere of a customer.

When will you wake up. There is no confirmation of anything here and you have an already convicted fraudster running the show.

Tony2

November 22, 2011 at 10:26 pm

Thanks for opening our eyes Tony2, were you also the last to get a cell phone.

• Tony

November 23, 2011 at 12:00 am

Actually, I had a phone in my car when the entire trunk was taken up with the transmitter. And that was probably before a lot of you were born.

You can’t honestly believe this, can you? You want to so much that you can’t see that there is no cell phone here, not even a couple of tin cans strung together by a piece of twine.

A guy comes out and says he we will take one and test one. AR says no. Somebody else just asks for a peek at what has to be a major manufacturing floor and AR says no. It matters not which old. deluded scientists sign onto the scam.

He hasn’t proved a thing and a web site is not reality.

As I said, wake up. If your financial advisor came to you with this as the way to an easy retirement, would you?

Tony2

• H. Hansson

November 23, 2011 at 1:04 am

Relax… sooner or later it will all be clear. There is nothing wrong being a skeptic, I still test-drive every car I buy despite the invention is more than 100 hundred years old.

But don’t insinuate that it is fake until you have solid evidence.

• MF

November 23, 2011 at 2:39 pm

What do you suppose is the endgame for Rossi, Defkalion and the university of Bolgna if this is a scam?

• daniel maris

November 22, 2011 at 11:42 pm

Well we have Focardi’s confirmation, Tony – and he is a respected scientist who worked with Rossi over a four year period perfecting the E cat. You are saying Focardi is deluded, demented or deceiving. Please choose and let us know.

• Tony

November 23, 2011 at 12:09 am

And please remember this – the 1 MW thermal output has NEVER been seen . AR could only muster out of the last sham that which was being produced by the diesel generator.

Tony2

November 23, 2011 at 2:14 am

Actually I don’t hang my hat on the Oct 28th demo, my preferred ones are the Second test with lewan and the Oct 6th test. Those are noteworthy. But honestly Tony2 your overskepticism is unwarranted at this point. Sounds like you are basing this whole thing on Rossi = LENR. There is A LOT more than Rossi.

• Jim

November 23, 2011 at 3:36 am

It’s obviously a scam, absolutely. I mean, he’s taking money before completing orders, right? No? Oh right, he’s not. Well, he’s selling stock in his company right? Not that either? Ok, just how is he going to profit from this scam? He’s gonna somehow make his name on this before it comes out that it was fake?

Seems like a lot of trouble and expense to go to just to not actually make a profit, doesn’t it? Unless it’s not a scam, in which case he’ll make lots.
            But no, you’re right. Somehow, somewhere, it’s gotta be a scam, even if it’s the most ill thought out scam I’ve ever heard of.

• John Dlouhy

November 23, 2011 at 3:44 pm

You’re right Jim, how could this possibly be a scam….ah one, ah two, ah one two three….

“He’s makin’ a list
            and checkin’ it twice
            ten thousand dupes are
            rollin’ the dice
            Santa Rossi’s comin’ to town…”

• Aussie Guy

November 23, 2011 at 4:01 am

Did you actually read the statement? MIT and 2 other universities will have reps there. You think Rossi would go into meetings with these guys if he could not prove what he says? Just remember Rossi has stated his first customer is US, the first E-Cat is being installed in the US, he went there to do the install and is responsible for maintenance, the customer does military research and has ordered another 13 x 1 MW E-Cats. Just maybe the Senator and MIT know something we do not. Like they KNOW it works from the reports of the military research contractor. If I was Rossi, I would not go to see anybody until the first plant was up and running, a report was produced and I had it in my hand. I suggest that is exactly what has happened.

AG

• John Dlouhy

November 23, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Raussi Guy> “You think Rossi would go into meetings with these guys if he could not prove what he says?”

Why not? What has he got to lose? 1) His credibility? So far he doesn’t have any. 2) His reputation? The guy’s an ex-con. 3) His money? He’s going there to try and get something.

What he will get, regardless of how the meeting turns out, is some high level press and another notch in his Bologna, Uppsala, NASA, MIT, Senator, name dropping belt.

You seem to be a really ardent supporter of Rossi’s validity. I’m just wondering what information you have that the rest of us are missing? Anyway, let me just add that I hope your scenario about MIT and the senate knowing something we don’t is true. It would change the world for ever, wouldn’t it.

• Bill Colias

November 22, 2011 at 10:23 pm

Its not surprising to me that “conservative” representatives are taking the lead on this. After all, this is a private sector initiative. A breath of fresh air compared to the liberal cronyism evident in the green industry (ala Solyndra).

• daniel maris

November 22, 2011 at 11:43 pm

The E Cat can appeal to both right and left. For the right it guarantees energy independence. For the left it is carbon-free.

November 23, 2011 at 7:05 pm

For the right, it is another way to scam money out of the American very gullible public. They can smell those a thousand miles away.

• Josh

November 23, 2011 at 12:13 am

Well said, Bill.

• HanzJager

November 23, 2011 at 1:59 am

Yay lets make it a political shit fest. He isn’t a tea bagger is he? 😉

• Hal Ade

November 23, 2011 at 4:29 am

No, from my experience with liberals in the English-speaking world, they are the most resistant to “out-side-the-box” technology, often insisting more than “conservatives” that “it’s too good to be true”, going against the laws of science. And I consider myself a progressive on matters of physical well-being, ie., more liberal than most liberals. So logically, I should be even more resistant to new technologies of abundance, like the E-Cat LENR devices, but I’m not, and am thus an exception.

2. C M Edwards

November 22, 2011 at 9:45 pm

I hope it didn’t interfere with Trouble in Toyland.

Think there’ll be anything about it on the local news over the next few days? I hope so.

November 22, 2011 at 10:29 pm

Selling to an undisclosed customer did. Now anybody can buy one so why not.
      CM it bugs me that Rossi acts as if he doesn’t know that he would get 10000 people showing interest. You?

• Roger Barker

November 22, 2011 at 10:33 pm

I just want one independent customer to come forth and say, “we have an eCat and the darn thing works as described”. Better yet if they could demonstrate it working I’d be happy.

I don’t need to know how it works, what the secret sauce is or anything else like that. I just want to know if the eCat really works.

• daniel maris

November 22, 2011 at 11:45 pm

I agree Roger that until that happens, we can’t suspend scepticism entirely. However, in the meantime we can exercise judgement. This is certainly an advance. I think a scammer would steer well clear of MIT – don’t you?

• The DON

November 23, 2011 at 4:43 am

You think a scammer would steer well clear of MIT?
            Like Fleishman and Pons 20 years ago…. Oh yeah, they weren’t the scammers, MIT were.
            I wouldn’t trust any person, organisation or government given the world changing potential of the e-cat. call me paranoid, but that does not mean they aren’t watching me.
            I hope that the e-cat is all it’s touted to be, but I wish Rossi would give the technology away to struggling and third would countries (or villages) for them to raise their standard of living. Charge the industrialised nations for the tech, but get the tech into as many genuinely needy hands as possible.

November 23, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Why would a scammer steer clear of MIT? The place is crawling with humans, isn’t it? All he has to do is to be leary of MIT’s lawyers, who have a knack for acquiring rights to external devices and processes. Wait, did I just kinda admitted Rossi had such thing?

• Gospace

November 23, 2011 at 5:55 am

Ditto. To Roger barker at 10:33

• CM Edwards

November 23, 2011 at 4:48 am

LCD, it’s been clear for a while that many of Rossi’s ideas on public communication are unprofessional, leaning toward inconsistent obfuscation and grandstanding. So, no, I am not surprised by one more amateurish effort.

However, this is not the reason I didn’t put my name in the hat.

I suspect the introduction of the list is a meaningless fumble at PR, but Rossi et. al are stuck with it now. I don’t doubt that they’ll get to 10000 contacts eventually, and they’ll have to either honor it or break the commitment. The trouble is, I don’t know where I’m buying my equipment yet. Since Rossi’s list is a commitment for his customers, too, this is a critical shortfall.

The first manufacturer to show that their device can work for the average guy is the one that will have the average guy’s business. The odds are too high that it’s just not going to be Rossi. That doesn’t mean that Rossi’s out of business. He’s made some progress toward getting into the industrial market. Unfortunately, it’s still amateur hour at Leonardo Corp. If he wants people off the street to buy his e-cat, HE… MUST… SHOW that it works OUTSIDE… HIS… LAB. How he does that is not as important as some would have us believe. “It must be university approved, or it’s all ruined,” is irrational nonsense. There are other ways. Give just three of these to volunteers and tell them to heat their homes with an e-cat this winter – and don’t spare the television coverage with typical Rossi grandstanding. People would get the idea very quickly that way, with a minimum of effort and with little risk of illicit mass spectrometry. But people also get the idea that nobody lives in Rossi’s lab.

I don’t think Rossi’s going to be the first person to prove that this tech works outside the lab. So, I’m not going to promise my money to him.

• Peter Roe

November 23, 2011 at 9:18 am

Although I come from the more optimistic end of the spectrum here I have to say that I share your evident frustration. Although the ‘list’ is simply an expression of interest at the moment, I don’t feel that I have enough to go on to add my name at this point, as to do so would mean a commitment (however weak) to an unknown quantity. I also share your feeling that Rossi may soon be overtaken by other parties in this race (that is what it is, now) due to the apparently unprofessional route his business is taking, meaning that any ‘commitment’ to his domestic product would be meaningless.

If the vested interests of the world have decided for whatever reasons to let this thing grow (and I’m not convinced that this is the case) then before I commit I want to see the device, read its specs, find out how much it is really going to cost to run (consumables costs) and what kind of repair/guarantee support is attached – just as I would if I was considering buying the latest condensing gas boiler.

• John Doe

November 23, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Just remember, the current 1MW e-cat is intended for use in commercial establishments anyway. Give it 2-3 years when they will supposedly release the ‘home’ version and then expect more public marketing.

• kevin

November 26, 2011 at 3:24 pm

I believe that the Undisclosed customer is NATO but I cannot be certain. It would be within logic to keep it quite if it was a military application.
        Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent’s fate.
        Sun Tzu

3. Roger Barker

November 22, 2011 at 10:31 pm

I can’t help but feel Rossi is ramping up his big lie. It reminds me of the purported WMD in Iraq. There was some really sketchy evidence of WMD but the US government went nuts on an advertising campaign to sell the invasion to the US citizens. Unfortunately it was a big lie and Americans and Iraqis are still dying to this day in Iraq.

November 22, 2011 at 10:44 pm

Lol I know how you feel roger. Hopeful Skeptical pessimism

• Roger Barker

November 22, 2011 at 11:28 pm

Trust me LCD, I want this to work BAD. I am sick and tired of our reliance on foreign oil. I hope this is real but there just isn’t enough evidence.

To me it appears Rossi is using big name players to boost his venture. If you recall back in September he was pimping his meeting with NASA. What happens here is, irrespective of what his meeting was about with NASA, people start thinking, “oh, Rossi is meeting NASA, he must be legit”. Rossi has also continuously name dropped the University of Bologna and Uppsala when neither organisation has any concrete ties to him.

To be honest I don’t have much faith in Rossi. I have more faith in Defkalion and I am particularly interested in what Brian Ahern will have to say on December 7th.

• John Dlouhy

November 23, 2011 at 1:02 am

Good points Roger. Much was made of Rossi’s meeting with NASA before the fact, but nothing much resulted afterwards. As far as meeting with MIT, its another example of Rossi hypocrisy. He clearly stated that he was not interested in working with anyone from MIT, and added smugly that if they were interested, they could buy an e-cat when it was on the market to test it themselves, and get good heat from it as well. Now the big news is that he IS meeting with MIT after all.

The coincidence of his latest big name dropping and the issuance of his 10,000 buyers list is also somewhat suspicious, both occurring on the same day. Rossi is offering everything, and anything, except the only thing that actually matters, independent verification. I hope that Defkalion or Ahern give us something better.

• Roger Barker

November 23, 2011 at 1:19 am

Yes, I too was surprised by Rossi’s change of tact to start selling smaller units given only a few days ago he was saying this would not happen for at least another year. It is quite suspicious.

November 23, 2011 at 2:31 am

So a few points, let me play the devil’s advocate. The Rossi article didn’t initially mention MIT it mentioned Mass State Government. I think it was the legislature who logically brought in MIT and other universities. I actually think that because MIT was part and parcell in the witch hunt of P&F, that’s not sitting to well with Rossi.

Also Rossi is a complicated character who has the prerogative to change his mind and should as new information arrives. He actually has gone back and forth on the home ecat issue if you’ve followed, and I know you have, so that’s not too surprising to me.

In personal correspondence with me he’s mentioned the same thing he’s always said that Defkalion’s insistence on the home ecat was the wrong initial strategy and that he never thought that was the right way to go initially because of the issues with safety. But lately he’s been pleasantly surprised with the ease of certification and at one point he even mentioned on his blog that the home ecat’s would be coming sooner, like in months. Then something happened and i didn’t get this from the emails, but from his blog, that caused him to change his mind again. I think it was the loss of the customer due to the nuclear reactor and federal law issue. That probably scared him. Now i firmly believe he had to review his train of thought based on the threat from Defkalion and Ahern.

By the way I should add that Defkalion won’t sell you a unit if you are in the U.S. They actually refer you to Rossi and Ampenergo. I think that’s kind of wierd.

• CM Edwards

November 23, 2011 at 3:09 pm

“…let me play the devil’s advocate.”

Which devil? The one over my right shoulder that is whispering Invest Now? Or the one over my left shoulder that is yelling Scam? 🙂

November 23, 2011 at 2:44 am

I am VERY interested in what Ahern had to say. And finally because of Ahern professors are starting to talk about LENR. Today there was a colloqium and the speaker mentioned Rossi, Ahern, and Piantelli among others. Sadly Rossi’s criminal background was brought up, but the interest was undeniably sparked.

Everybody there is starting to know me as the cold fusion guy and so I was asked a lot of questions.

Kind of funny somebody today asked me what my thesis was going to be on and I told him condensed matter nuclear physics. He chuckled and said very politely, “we don’t associate condensed matter with nuclear physics because they are to different temperature scales.” Of course I responded, “yet.” He looked very confused and then I went on to lecture him. LOL Then my professor walked in asking me who Brian Ahern was.

It was a good day.

• Roger Barker

November 23, 2011 at 7:50 am

Good on ya LCD. I hope your studies go well. Ross is not LENR and LENR is not Rossi. I believe in LENR. If the current crop don’t bring it to reality then perhaps some day you will! 🙂

November 23, 2011 at 7:11 pm

Way to go LCD! I also wish you well in your studies.

• Ivy Matt

November 24, 2011 at 8:35 am

Condensed matter nuclear physics—didn’t Cockcroft and Walton get the 1953 Nobel Prize in Physics for demonstrating that back in 1932? 😉

• Ivy Matt

November 25, 2011 at 8:40 am

Silly me, it was the 1951 Nobel Prize.

• daniel maris

November 22, 2011 at 11:49 pm

Your wonky thinking on Iraq doesn’t suggest you are going to reach the correct conclusions on the E cat.

Absolutely no one with any knowledge of the subject denies that Saddam DID have WMDs. The only question is whether he had them destroyed at some stage. Don’t forget we were told Ghaddafi had given up his WMDs – but loads of nerve or chemical gas weapons were discovered recently.

Bologna has confirmed that they are in discussion with Rossi to reach an agreement. That seems like a firmly fair tie, if not yet a contractual one.

I have some hope Defkalion will come up with the goods. But their previous statements have been far less reliable than Rossi’s. Ahern sounds like he is looking for the Nobel prize by also being able to give a scientific account of the mechanism. I don’t take him so seriously – but you never know. I am open to all these developments.

• Roger Barker

November 23, 2011 at 12:20 am

Big difference between DID have and has now and is ready to use them, which was the theme going around at that time. Saddam had the WMDs destroyed and we know this to be a fact because the UN Inspectors who were on site stated as much. The US reason for going into Iraq was a BIG FAT LIE.

Can you please provide cites for Bologna confirming they are in discussion with Rossi.

• daniel maris

November 23, 2011 at 3:00 am

Yes – but read back. That wasn’t what you said.

4. Eric Woudenberg

November 22, 2011 at 10:59 pm

• admin

November 22, 2011 at 11:10 pm

Thanks, Eric. Post updated.

• daniel maris

November 22, 2011 at 11:51 pm

It’s one of the most positive statements on the E cat I have read. I feel that the State Senator is unlikely to have committed like that unless someone at MIT has confirmed the technology works – someone who perhaps has a connection with SWARPA?

It’s FASCINATING stuff.

November 23, 2011 at 2:35 am

Ahern is from MIT, but I doubt anybody from MIT has confirmed Rossi. I think Ahern is the key.

• Viktor

November 23, 2011 at 10:17 am

I hope the partners will be from MIT instead of MIB (men in black)

November 23, 2011 at 7:13 pm

MIT does have MIB’s, they call them “Lawyers”.

November 23, 2011 at 7:16 pm

At the risk of being told I remind them of The-one-who-shall-not-be-named-unless-you-want-the -other-one-to-go-on-a-rant because I am repeat…ahem re-iterating? something I posted before, my hope is that there is a question-and-answer session between Rossi and a few MIT researchers, including Dr. Hagelstein and Dr. Ahern. And good Italian translators.

5. Eric Woudenberg

November 22, 2011 at 11:11 pm

It’s going to be interesting if this causes the Massachusetts government to ask that e.g. MIT vet Rossi’s device. Eventually Rossi will have to cave to such pressure or be considered a flake.

I am reminded of a recent remark about how appallingly incurious modern science seems to be, and that if Rossi had been touting this at the turn of the 20th century he’d have a band of agitated scientists at his door with pitchforks and torches demanding to examine his discovery.

What Rossi’s got is huge, he’s not going be able to carry off any plans to quietly sell eCats from a back alley.

6. Matthew

November 22, 2011 at 11:34 pm

I hope so…The faster that a real lab with real scienctist does it the better!

7. H. Visscher

November 23, 2011 at 1:36 am

Has anyone heard anything from this Associated Press reporter yet? Almost a month now..

• HanzJager

November 23, 2011 at 2:07 am

I sent him several tweets. The last response I got was… 🙂 <-smiley face. wtf?

• John Dlouhy

November 23, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Lolz, how the heck are we supposed to take that? Does he not believe and he’s playing it coy to let speculation run rampant, or is he sitting on the scoop of the century waiting for the word from his editor?

• daniel maris

November 23, 2011 at 3:02 am

AP were cast into the outer darkness around about 1st November as far as I was concerned. Whichever way you look at it – scam or science – that was a newsworthy story.

8. atanguy

November 23, 2011 at 2:08 am

Did anybody saw this movie:
    The secret of Nikola Tesla (available on Netflix)
    Lot of reminiscence of the current even with Andrea Rossi…

9. Sojourner Soo

November 23, 2011 at 4:57 am

Cold Fusion Inventor Comes to State House, Scaling Beacon Hill, the Massachusetts Senate Republican Caucus:
    “Responding to an invitation from Senate Minority Leader Bruce Tarr (R-Gloucester), the Italian scientist who claims to have developed the world’s first nuclear cold fusion reactor arrived at the State House this morning to explore the prospects of developing the device and producing it in Massachusetts.”

10. Rob Genereux

November 23, 2011 at 5:48 am

The democrats should be embracing this technology. GOP have too many big oil friends. Unfortunately sterling has an issue with the president who in a strong proponent of alternatives.

11. Gospace

November 23, 2011 at 5:53 am

I will believe the ecat is real when there is a power plant pushing out power and/or heat that is filled with ecat machinery.

Until then, it looks like either a real genuine case of self deception, or carefully orchestrated massive fraud to be.

12. arian

November 23, 2011 at 6:16 am

November 22nd, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Dear Kim Patterson:
    Great things are happening in the USA in these times concerning our work.

#
    Kim Patterson
    November 22nd, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Into the Eye of the Tiger.

Good Luck Andrea with the Massachusetts State Senate meetings with Massachusetts government leaders and MIT officials.

Respect
    Kim

13. Burt

November 23, 2011 at 6:59 am

There are still people who think that man was never on the moon. A scam of unheard proportions. Until now:-)
    Some people will not believe in e-cat for yet another year or so. Let them be. Let them decide for themselves what to believe.
    What puzzles me still is that they feel the itch to pollute every single forum they can find. How can they keep up the interest of something they don’t believe in??

• daniel maris

November 23, 2011 at 9:04 am

Burt,

I think it’s a combination of people who have a vested interest in seeing cold fusion remain in the lab and people who think they are defending what you might call a “single valid model” of science.

That model is the path of peer review and incremental progress – a very formal and bureaucratised form of scientific endeavour that has only been around for maybe 70-80 years.

In my view it hasn’t protected us from fraud and manipulation (especially by, for instance, drug companies who can fund and bias research in all sorts of hard-to-detect ways). But it has put up a road block to progress in some areas – most notably probably cold fusion – and has stifled free debate, which is the real oxygen of science.

• Matthew

November 23, 2011 at 10:21 am

If he really has been running one for two years then all he has to do is put a e-cat cam on it and make e-cat t.v. Within a week, if it’s still running. People will be more convinced then all 12 of his “test” put together. He says 6 months, but people are skeptical if it can last 24 hours, while they even have doubts if it is even powered by the process of fusion. Some say it has a battery or some other chemical reaction….Most are ruled out of course, but then they point to the generator. See people are going to be very skeptical and they have every reason to be, but people like George Miley doing it within a lab and getting more energy out of it within full view of the sciencifitic world is more creditable.

Of course all rossi needs to do is make one visible and happy customer.

• daniel maris

November 23, 2011 at 4:12 pm

You are honestly telling me that the supersceptics would be convinced by a video of a huffing and puffing E cat running for all that time? They’ll just there’s an electric feed hidden from the camera. You know that’s what would happen.

We have had photos of prototypes with Focardi in the frame. I found those far more convincing.

• Conrad

November 24, 2011 at 11:03 am

I’ve been following every step with a sharp and skeptical eye.
      I can’t really see what planet these skeptics are on.
      Seen the demo footage, listened to the respected scientists, the only real floor they seriously pointed out is that the thermometer was not in the most correct position.
      That’s it.
      Could one of you guys actually point out any more specific reasons that it dosn’t work?
      As it has been stated, you just cant hide that much stored energy in such a small space in order to make it a scam!

Rossi is the nutty scientist.
      He has “knocked it off”
      Only this type of character invents new inventions!

A multinational corporation does not inovate! Those directors and spin wizids are a bunch of salary cheats. Very few ever event any thing, they are just experts on ‘jumping on band wagons’
      Exceptions: Gates and Jobs – respect to them they had innovation and corporate kills. (Just like Rossi, they were labeled fools)

Lets hope Rossi has both the business skills to pull off the innovation success and the $$$ – an rare thing – the odds are against him unfortunately

However – I have a sneaky suspicion he’s the right man for the job. I think he’s going to do it!

I’m saving up to get my ecat!

14. Charles

November 23, 2011 at 7:40 am

People!!!!,,, I saw Cold Fusion working with my own eyes. I was installing an Industrial Epoxy floor at a plant that dealt with (Money scraps). recycling from the production of Nickels. I poured Muriatic Acid on the floor to acid etch the floor. Hydrogen off Gassing was produced from the muriatic acid reaction. While scrubbing the floor with broom, it created dime size hyper energy balls buzzing around on the floor. Two of them which lasted approximately 15 seconds before fizzing out or scooting off the puddle surface where they could not be seen.. Nickel, Hydrogen, Broom Friction. What else could it be. This works People!!!!!!! Sound the Alarm!!!!!! No lies. Jesus Christ is my lord!!!!!

• CM Edwards

November 23, 2011 at 4:00 pm

You should probably lay off the muriatic acid, or whatever kind of acid you’re taking…

November 23, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Nice touch bringing religion into it, you’re an artist!

15. Roger Barker

November 23, 2011 at 8:11 am

Any updates from the good senator’s office?

16. bill

November 23, 2011 at 8:47 am

I think that Rossi believes he has a great invention. The problem is he has no idea what it is or how to control it. It would appear he is trying to make a buck, before people find out how simple it really is. I am suprized Piantelli is not running a parralel campain to promote the invention that He discoveredin 1989.

17. daniel maris

November 23, 2011 at 8:57 am

Tony –

You didn’t respond to my invitation, so I will restate it:

“Well we have Focardi’s confirmation, Tony – and he is a respected scientist who worked with Rossi over a four year period perfecting the E cat. You are saying Focardi is deluded, demented or deceiving. Please choose [between those three labels] and let us know.”

• Thicket

November 23, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Daniel

You ask an intellectually dishonest question. Let me demonstrate why.

Daniel, please tell us whether you are gullible, naive or stupid. Please choose (amongst those three labels) and let us know. Get my point? I’m not trying to insult you. It’s just that asking a question and limiting the answer to three prejudicial choices is intellectually dishonest.

From my perspective, Focardi has fallen prey to wishful thinking and Rossi’s silver tongue. It’s no different than a lot of posters on this forum. That’s not deluded, demented or deceiving.

November 23, 2011 at 7:22 pm

Thicket, for many the sign that reads “logic need not apply” is posted up and high. Nice, very polite try though.

Societal despair? I wonder if it is worst now than say, 500 years ago?

November 23, 2011 at 10:05 am

Don’t forget today’s lectures.

From face book.
    Giuliano Bettini
    Today is the day.
    Public lectures:
    “Tomorrow’s nuclear power – will it be cold or hot?”
    Date: 2011-11-23
    Time: 18:30 to 20:00

Giuliano Bettini ‎@ Hampus, if you go there…. a short summary for us tonight, please.
    about an hour ago · 1
    Hampus Ericsson Yeh I will keep you guys updated 🙂
    57 minutes ago · 3
    Hampus Ericsson My train leaves in 2 hours 🙂
    56 minutes ago

November 23, 2011 at 10:18 am

Quote from above. We could wait another 23 years.

“with the key trigger for further action being the publication of the work in a reputable peer-refereed journal.”

• Matthew

November 23, 2011 at 10:26 am

Or he can do one or both of two things and make people believe!

1# Hook up the e-cat cam and put it on e-cat.com, and let people watch the e-cat power his building that he has said been working for 2 straight years. Within a week people will be believing. Cheap cam. WHY NOT? Hell, he could try it in sustain mode for a week with no generator just to prove once and for all.

2# A happy BIG and Respected customer or two could come out and say it works.

This is the only way Rossi wins. Personally, I’d do both.

November 23, 2011 at 10:36 am

Matthew, I agree but my point is that “reputable peer-refereed journals” have hidden and debunked Cold Fusion starting with P&F for 23 years, so how can they be referred to as reputable and peer review clearly does not work to the benefit of introducing new science.
    If politicians and science in general do not condemn this action openly, then no improvement in their incompetence will materialise.

21. CM Edwards

November 23, 2011 at 2:21 pm

I can’t seem to get a copy of NASA and Joseph Zowodny’s US Patent Application 20110255645. Must not be published.

It’s for a LENR based propulsion system.

• CM Edwards

November 23, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Thanks! I was worried it was withheld from publication. I just had to drop the leading “2”.

Oh, my bad. Propulsion is just one of the listed applications. (See application paragraph 0023.) That’s what I get for blogging for my source data.

Good to know it’s being studied, though. I can hardly wait for the first rocket.

• Pekka Janhunen

November 23, 2011 at 3:41 pm

One could of course replace RTG with it, to enable powering payloads in outer solar system without plutonium. But it’s not good for a nuclear thermal rocket because the core temperature would be too low (nickel melting point max) to give a reasonable specific impulse with hydrogen propellant. Because in fission NTR the core can be 3000 K hot and then the specific impulse is max twice as much as hydrogen-oxygen. In conclusion: without further breakthroughs, it doesn’t seem likely that it could make orbital launches from Earth easier.

• John Dlouhy

November 23, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Pekka, you have to think wider if we suddenly have unlimited energy. A large rail gun could use electricity and magnetism to launch most materials directly into orbit. It would have to be situated on a massive dirigible above most of the atmosphere, but with unlimited energy, the power, and materials to build such a thing are merely an engineering challenge, not an impossibility.

Another way to use E-Cat power to get to space is simply using the cheap electricity to make liquid hydrogen and oxygen to power conventional rockets, or maybe even future single stage to orbit space planes like Skylon.

• Pekka Janhunen

November 23, 2011 at 5:30 pm

@John: In principle I agree. LH2 propellant cost is negligible fraction of launch cost nowadays, however. Even with conventional rocketry there would be much scope for rationalisation, improvements and cost cutting. E.g., launching reusable two-stage to orbit vehicle from a subsonic plane might be a reasonable idea. What seems to hold back this kind of ideas is just that the launch frequency isn’t high enough to warrant the effort – and the launch frequency is low because launch costs are soo high … Perhaps cold fusion could indirectly break also this pattern among others.

• CM Edwards

November 23, 2011 at 6:01 pm

I disagree with your ratio, Pekka. The specific impulse would go as roughly the square root of the temperature:molecular weight ratio for the exhaust. So, the fission powered rocket could never get to double the ISP at double the temperature.

I concur with the 3000 K value for the fission reactor, but it’s very optimistic and based on an important assumption: the reactor doesn’t melt. The reactor is where all the heat comes from, so it has to see more than 3000 K to get the propellant to that temperature. Not that it has to run that hot to get better performance than a chemical rocket. Using hydrogen as a propellant, propellant temperatures as low as 700 K could match the ISP of the H2/LOX engines in the old space shuttle. That leaves plenty of performance leeway for the fission rocket, but it’s leeway for a LENR rocket, too. You don’t need to get to 3000 K to exceed the performance of modern chemical rockets.

And consider for a moment the theoretical top end for a nuclear thermal rocket, where you forget all about that silly old fashioned notion that the reactor doesn’t melt, and go with a gas core nuclear reactor (GCNR). The LENR reactor hasn’t got the same critical mass limitations as a fission reactor, so a hypothetical gas core nuclear reactor could be much smaller, and the steady leakage of reactor fuel involved in a GCNR rocket doesn’t spray plutonium all over the solar system.

Suffice it to say, I think LENR rocketry has potential.

• Pekka Janhunen

November 23, 2011 at 7:16 pm

@John:I basically agree: even at temperatures where nickel is solid, a pure hydrogen rocket should achieve higher Isp than LH/LOX. Thank you for pointing it out. The only if and but is hydrogen’s low overall density and resulting large tankage mass. I’m not a fan of fission rockets by the way, I used it only for comparision. Lastly, hopefully cold fusion doesn’t work in liquid or gas phase, because that would make Rossi’s E-cat intrinsic safety argument invalid. It’s very likely that it doesn’t: for one thing, if it would, there would be furious cold fusion in Jupiter’s interior for example, and we would have noticed it. The idea that it only works in solid state (and even then with lots of other requirements) is consistent with the fact that we haven’t seen it in planets.

• John Dlouhy

November 23, 2011 at 11:39 pm

Pekka, I think your response is to CM Edwards, not me.

However, in your comment previous to this one which you addressed to me, I agree with what you said, about the H and O fuel being a small portion of the total cost to get to orbit. My hope is that very low cost energy will eventually lower the cost of many things, like for example the price of aluminum with its high embodied energy cost, from which a rocket is largely constructed, and even the cost of operating the factories and their equipment. This, combined with efforts like those of Elon Musk (SpaceX) to reuse rocket components, and reduce turn around times could lead to lower launch costs, which would spur more use, whose volume would lead to even lower prices and hopefully start a downward spiral to break out of the chicken and egg scenario you describe.

If you haven’t heard about Skylon, do a quick search and read about it, or watch the Youtube video. The concept was recently vetted by a large group of aerodynamicists from around the world, gathered by the ESA. Its a carbon fiber space plane that switches from air breathing to liquid oxygen as it leaves the atmosphere. Serious engineering work has already been carried out on it. It has the potential to change the industry. It deserves public backing. It is way cool!

22. Renzo

November 23, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Passerini about the Defkalion – Piantelli connection:
    Roy Virgilio categorically denied to me any connection between Defkalion & Piantelli and, in fact it is quite angry: they used a picture (one of the Piantelli’s device to prepare the nickel powder) without asking permission … stuff to police report!

23. Az

November 23, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Defkalion Green Technologies respects Andrea Rossi, acknowledges his work, and congratulated him on his public efforts to validate LENR technology in the public domain.

You all are kindly ask not to confuse our Hyperion technology with others’ (eg.ecat). We are not willing to answer any questions pertaining to third party initiatives in LENR. We have made our own progress, both on technical and business matters. So we will not accept any comments or questions for other parties business or technologies.

Please note that according to our 14th of November 2011 press release, we will release a more detailed announcement in the beginning of next week.

Defkalion GT
    November 23rd 2011

• daniel maris

November 23, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Monday 28th the big day then? Time for DGT to put up or shut up I think.

24. GP

November 23, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Sven Kullander’ s lecture news anyone?

• Ivan Mohorovicic

November 23, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Hampus Ericsson
      Now it’s done. I couldn’t stay for all of it because I have a train to catch. The lecture was good. He started by going I’ve all different types of nuclear power. And then he talked about hot fusion and when that might be functional.

Then the good par came, he talked about all the different test that have been made of Rossi’s ecat( basically read the Ny Teknik reports.

Then he talked about his own test, he said that it proved that heat was made but he couldn’t say how, and he dont believe it’s cold fusion because that impossible by today’s science. But it could only be explained by cold fusion happening. He was very confused :).

He also said that Rossi is definitely not a fraud and that his friend Focardi and Levi is absolutely not frauds. They are his friends and he trust them.
      Rossi on the other had he said to be a black box.

November 23, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Rossi in January said, I will bypass science, the establishment politics and controlling industry.
    If real he has done all of that, the 1mw is (hopefully) on the market, science is playing catchup as are now the politicians chasing after him.
    In less than one year he has achieved what science has wasted 23 years trying to hide.
    Very shortly if genuine, his tactics could mean the fastest release of a technology there has ever been.

November 23, 2011 at 4:40 pm

It is fair to say that even if Rossi is a complete fraud the good he has done Cold Fusion is immense, if one compares the number of people working on it now and last January.
      Even the destroyer of Cold Fusion, MIT has lectures today, would that of happened without Rossi.
      Cold Fusion is real and Rossi what ever the outcome has achieved recognition of that fact almost single handed.

• Ivy Matt

November 24, 2011 at 8:58 am

Well, there was a Cold Fusion Colloquium held at MIT in 2005….

But I think Rossi *has* motivated some cold fusion researchers to get cracking, and possibly loosened a few funding sources as well.

26. DvH

November 23, 2011 at 4:49 pm

folks, back to the demo with the big blue box: is there any evidence that the exit-media of the container (between active cells and the big coolers behind the wooden wall) was indeed steam?? if it was just hot water (at 104 ‘C) the whole energy balance is wrong. you can have steam of 104 ‘C at atmospheric pressure, but not at 3.8 bar.
    because steam has a much larger volume that water it has much higher speed, its rather noisy in the pipes…

• 123star

November 23, 2011 at 7:09 pm

According to this calculator
      to have 104 °C water a pressure of 1150 millibar is sufficient, the average atmospheric pressure is 1013 mbar. So it’s necessary just 0.15 bar overpressure to have liquid water at 104 °C.
      Do you have any reference for the 3.8 bar you mentioned?

• DvH

November 23, 2011 at 7:40 pm

somewhere in the second-level ecat websites i found a sketch of the container-configuration. it has measurement-data at some points, like electric energy added, water-flow, water-pressure, outlet-temperature.
        the technical data for the container also mention circa 4 bar pressure for the water-pump.

• 123star

November 23, 2011 at 7:24 pm

A curious note about the “famous” guaranteed COP of 6.
      Energy required to heat 1 kg of water from 20 to 100 °C (80 degrees difference)=
      4.181 kJ * 80 = 335 kJ
      Latent heat of vaporisation of 1 kg of water: 2260 kJ
      I am Rossi and I declare that my water is vaporised even if it’s not:
      FAKE COP = (2260+335)/335 = 7.7
      Let’s say my water is just 2% vaporised (very wet steam)
      FAKE COP=(2260+335)/(335+2260*0.02)=6.8
      Let’s say my water is just 5% vaporised (still wet steam)
      FAKE COP=(2260+335)/(335+2260*0.05)=5.8
      So that’s why the COP is about 6 😀

References:

• DvH

November 23, 2011 at 7:33 pm

you speak my language !
        Water at 104 C and 3.8 bar is not vaporised !

• DvH

November 23, 2011 at 7:59 pm

yes, thats it: page 2 of the test-protocol states 5.5 hours of a flow-rate of 675.6 ltr/hr gives 3716 ltr water – vaporized… – he thinks
          seems, he fools himself by not seeing this

• DvH

November 23, 2011 at 8:20 pm

and when, somewhen, AR finally understands his error, he jumps completly ashamed off a bridge. end of story.
            his believers will insist on a conspiracy of oil-industry, the world didn’t understand him, he took his secret to grave, lenr exists.

lets hope the thing ends with a big laughter and not with a tragedy…

• 123star

November 23, 2011 at 8:58 pm

He knows this perfectly, believe me.

• DvH

November 23, 2011 at 8:28 pm

this kind of error definetly shouldnt have happend to AR: after all, the italians (the romans) invented warm-water heating 2000 years ago…

27. DvH

November 23, 2011 at 7:25 pm

from what i’ve seen in wiki, this mr. tarr is republican, while MA is democratic. while AR can freely chose to talk whomever he likes to, wouldn’t it make more sense to talk to government instead of opposition? to someone who can actually push the buttons?
    could someone from US please put some (short) light onto political situation in MA?

28. Mike L

November 24, 2011 at 12:15 am

I do have one question perhaps someone can answer. Can someone estimate the amount of nickel required in an E-cat to replace all the coal and nucelar plants in the world for one year. What percentage of total nickel production would this be? How many years of nickel reserves are there on earth to power human energy? I believe in the E-cat, I’m just not sure if there’s enough nickel on the planet.

29. John Dough

November 24, 2011 at 6:32 am

Wow! I haven’t seen this many oil shill debunk-artists running scared since Fleischman and Pons first announced. The hilarity doubles when you recall it was MIT and DOE’s Johnnie Huizenga that maligned the first anomalous heat experiments. What the minority rePub Senator’s assistants haven’t ‘splained to him is, MIT’s gonna have to apologize before they get their mits (ahem) on e-cat.

30. kevin

November 26, 2011 at 3:36 pm

To begin it would be nice to know what the outcome of the meeting was.
    Rossi really has no choice but to go into production of the units.. do the math a reproducible(for sale) E-Cat will be enough evidence to change mainstream academia. and there will be no denying it when there are 10 functioning plants.

31. Rodney

November 26, 2011 at 7:52 pm

So, Focardi, according to the sceptics, is just a dumb dupe?

And not the only dumb dupe scientist who has observed the experiments at close range, either.

Maybe, I suppose.